2. You've got a text

JOY's P.O.V.

It's the next day. I wake up with the sun before my alarm even has a chance to go off.

I feel like this is the first morning of my new life.

I'm pretty positive that I will find my dad today. I can't wait to see him and tell him that I love him and never forget about his promise to me.
That day when me and my mom left he promised that we will be together again.

I walk in the kitchen to find an empty fridge and empty cupboards. I need to do some grocery shopping. I take out an empty glass and pour it with tap water.

At least there is water.

I'm desperately craving an Americano and a croissant with marmalade and I take out my phone to search for nearby cafes . But a message from an unknown number appears on my screen.

Who sent me this? I have a new number . Only the landlord and Irene knows this.

I open the message to find a picture of my notebook with some text included.

From unknown > I have your notebook and I only assume that you have mine.

I furrow my eyebrows as I try to think if I ever wrote my phone number in that notebook. I can't recall such memory.

Joy > That's true. But if you're not from the special forces how on earth did you find my number?

I feel a bit uneasy as I wait him to text me back. I sit down at the kitchen table while starring at my phone. It beeps finally.

From unknown > We have a common acquaintance. Guess who? 🐶

I snort at the shady response.

What is this game he plays?

Taking a sip from my tap water I type away.

Joy > Its either from my landlord or my cousin because this number is brand new. So who is it?

From unknown > Bingo! It's one of them. But I won't tell and you're not allowed to ask. It would ruin our game.

"Hah! What the heck! Ya! That jerk! Is he for real?" I slam on the table in annoyance.

Joy > I don't like games. Also, I have your notebook so if you want it just tell me who is it.

He answers immediately. I'm speechless.

From unknown > I won't tell. You broke my phone remember? You have to compensate me for that.

"Micheosseo? That bastard! He said it's okay! I wanted to pay for the damage right there!" I mumble to the empty room.

Joy > Then let me pay for it as I wanted to do at the airport. Let's meet up!

I hate when people try to control and blackmail other people because clearly they don't have anything else to do all day.