Date Night and Fighting

Your POV:

After having a lovely breakfast with Katie, we went our separate ways to go to our respective jobs. My boss has been trying to get me to decide about my promotion. Still, of course, I told him I needed the extra days of deciding about the promotion he gave me. If this dinner date with Lucas turns out to be great, then I might just accept his offer.

I've been thinking of ways to break the news to him, but every time I practice, I just end up being a bumbling mess.

As I sat on my desk staring at my computer screen, I couldn't help but feel if telling him the news on our date night would be the right thing to do. Picking up my phone, I scrolled through my contacts to dial Katie's number. She always knows what to do, and she's proven it a million times over. Easily one of the most intelligent people I have ever met in my entire life.

With just about two rings, Katie immediately answered the call.

"Well, I see you've missed me already, Y/ln," I swear I could just feel her smirking on the other end while sitting on her office chair.

"Take off, your smug smirk McGrath." I chuckled, browsing through the music playlist that she's made for me on my computer.

"Yes, I've missed you, and also, I have a problem," I added, pressing play at one of the songs she's introduced me to. I turned up the volume just enough for me to hear the rhythm of the song.

"I can tell. You've been playing the 'I'm stressed, and I need to calm the fuck down' playlist again." She chuckled as she listened to the music that I've selected.

"Shut up. You know this playlist works, and besides, you made it for this particular reason." I stressed, turning up the volume a bit.

"Touché." She said.

"Anyways, what seems to be the problem? You've been out of your groove since our breakfast this morning, and plus, you lied to me when I asked you if everything's fine." She added.

She has indeed asked me this morning, but I just don't have the heart to ruin our wonderful breakfast together.

"How did you even know I was lying then?" I asked her.

"Well, my friend... you know when you lie, you have a tell? You raise your eyebrows every time you lie or hide something from me." She laughs.

"I do not!" I gasped. I mean, I never noticed it until now, so I guess I just have to not raise my eyebrows. It's that simple, right?

"Yeah, you do." She continues to tease.

"And now we're getting off-topic. Are you going to tell me what's wrong, or do I need to force it out of you?" She questioned.

"Alright, alright. Don't need to use your authoritative voice on me." I laughed.

"I've told you about my dinner with Lucas later tonight, right? So I thought of telling him about the promotion later, and I don't know if it's the right thing to do. I mean, how do I bring the topic up? He hates talking about work during dinner." I told her as I felt the stress rising in me again.

"Calm down, hun. You're just stressing yourself out. Breathe first... you wouldn't be able to think right in that state of mind." Katie said as she tried to calm me down through our phone call.

"Now, I know he hates work conversations at dinner, but this is important. He needs to know, especially now that you have only a few days to think about the offer. You just can't wait until the very day you'll be needed to give an answer to your boss." She stated, and as usual, she is right.