Chapter 4

A few weeks went by and Ophelia was bored in the house. Adrik had not come back. A lot of her days were sitting in a small room with other ladies embroidering. Ophelia always stayed quiet while the others talked amongst themselves.

"Ophelia." Her mother called one afternoon while she sat at her window reading. Her mother came into the room. "Ophelia, please put on something nice you have a visitor today." Ophelia smiled. Adrik was back. She got dressed and rushed downstairs.

She entered the sitting room, but Adrik was not there waiting; it was Leo. She stopped in her tracks. Why was he here, the guy who always gave her and Adrik problems.

"Ophelia says hi to Mr. Doreton." Her mother said sternly.

"Mr. Doreton what a surprise." She said as she curtsied.

"Miss Verbeck you look very lovely. Please sit next to me so we may talk." He took her hand and moved to sit next to him on the couch. Her mother watched with joy in her eyes.

"I did not know you were to visit us this lovely afternoon." Ophelia said trying to keep herself from vomiting on him as much as she really wanted to.

"I was out for a while and was not able to see you at your party. Now that I am back I thought I should visit and see how well you are." He smiled at her in a creepy way.

"I am fine thank you."

"That is splendid. I am glad. It was a good thing that you have the amazing parents who have kept you safe on Direlili. Things in the galaxy have definitely gone in a wrong direction."

"I am not sure what you are talking about?" Ophelia was confused. She knew that for the past six years she heard nothing and now here things are not going well.

"A villainous man has started to go through the Galaxy upsetting the delicate balance." Leo said lightly.

"What do they call this person?" She was curious about how everything has changed.

"They call him Tabnam." He said, like he was trying not to scare her.

"Mrs. Verbeck you have another visitor." Their house manager came into the room with her head down.

"Who is it?" Ophelia asked.

"Mr. Myrmidon, miss."

"Let him in please." Ophelia said with a smile. She got up to greet Adrik when he came into the room.

She saw a flash of anger in his eyes as he came into the room and saw Leo next to her, but he softened his face.

"I hope I am not interrupting." He said.

"No." "Yes." Ophelia said and her mother countered.

"Come sit down please. We were just talking about the man who is going through the galaxy. Tabnam." She looked at Leo to make sure she was right.

"What about him?" Adrik asked as he sat down in the chair near her mother. Then Ophelia sat back down next to Leo.

"How terrible he is and how he is not doing any good in our Galaxy." Leo said. Adrik just nodded as Leo talked. "Oh, by the way, my main reason for being here is. I want to have a party and Ophelia would love it if you would be my date." Ophelia opened her eyes wide in shock.

"She'd love to." Her mother answered for her. Ophelia turned to tell her no but her mother gave her that look. She sighed.

"I would be delighted." She hung her head low.

"That is wonderful. I will go have a dress picked out for you and send it over before the party. It was very lovely to see you Mrs. Verbeck thank you again for letting me come and visit." He took Ophelia's hand. And kissed it. She felt gross and made a face. She heard Adrik make his laugh noise and she smiled. She kept smiling as Leo lifted his head to talk to her. "Until I see you again lovely lady." He turned to Adrik. "Adrik, good of you to make it out for once." He turned on his heels and left her mother following behind him to say goodbye.

"Adrik, would like to hang out for a bit?" Ophelia asked him.

"No, I don't think I should." He made a signal for her to turn around. Her mother stood there with a scowl on her face.

"Adrik, would you please leave, I need to speak to my daughter." Adrik nodded and left as well. "Why do you not look excited to have time with Mr. Doreton. He is a very good man."

"Why do you like him?" Ophelia put her arms across her chest.

"He is a nice man who happens to do a lot for this planet."

"Nice!?" Ophelia looked at her in disbelief. "Do you not understand the torture I went through by his hands and so did Adrik." She started to walk away from her.

"He was young and people grow and change." Her mother followed her. Ophelia headed up the stairs.

"I don't think he has changed." Ophelia turned to her mother and stepped to get closer to her face. "I don't trust him."

"Stop being improper. Do you really think Adrik is the same boy you knew when you were younger?"

"The way he treats me is the same."

"You do not know who he is at all."

"That is all your fault. I lost my life because of you!" Ophelia turned and went up the stairs at the top of the stairs she turned around. "Stop trying to make my life what you want." She turned and walked away.

"You need someone to guide you in the right direction." Her mother called still at the bottom of the stairs.

"Not from you." Ophelia said but not loud enough for her mother to hear. She slammed the door to her room. She took a deep breath with her eyes closed. She opened them. Sitting on her bed was Adrik.

"You still want to hang out?" He asked with a smile.

"Adrik." She rushed over to him and hugged him. "I thought you left."

"Not when my best friend is upset with her mother." He let go of her.

"Did you hear all that?" She asked, biting her lip nervously.

"I did, but I agree with you. I don't trust Leo."

"Please tell me that you will be there for the party. I don't want to be stuck with him alone." Ophelia slightly begged.

"For you, anything." He smiled at her. "The necklace?" He asked her.

"I hid it away from that crazy woman." Ophelia told him.

"I want to see what it looks like on you. I know I said to wear it when I have a party, but I want to see it and figure out what it would go best with." He smiled at her. She went to the hiding spot and pulled out the box with the necklace. She walked over to Adrik. He took the box from her and pulled out the necklace. She turned herself to let him clasp it together. She touched it while he was closing it around her neck. She smiled at it. "Okay."

She turned to face him. He smiled at her not saying a word.

"I'm guessing you're speechless." She laughed at him. He grabbed her hand and pulled her towards a mirror. "Its-." She couldn't think of the right words.

"Perfect." He said as he looked at her in the mirror's reflection. She touched the necklace again. "I can't wait for the party. I got so much to surprise you with." He smiled.

"I can't wait." She smiled at him.

"I should get going." He undid the necklace for her. "I'm going to use the tree since your mother does think I left the house. It was great spending time with you." He hugged her.

"Are you leaving again?"

"Yeah, I got a lot of business, but I will be here for his party." He smiled at her once again before he opened the window and took the tree to the outside.

Ophelia watched him leave. She held the necklace in her hands. She looked down and in the light it sparked. She smiled to herself about how Adrik never made her feel different after coming back. She made sure to hide the necklace again.