Chapter 20

"I've been in bed for so long can't you just bring me some paper to work on." Ophelia pleaded with the doctor. "I can't rest with nothing anymore."

"You have only been in bed for five days. You need two more before I can let you off bed rest. Your bones need to heal."

"I didn't break anything and it's just a little damage. You know I don't do lifting here." She had been in bed longer than she thought she would.

The only person that she had seen for three days was the doctor. She missed the girls, but was glad that Tabnam kept his distance. That was all she needed was him coming in and making her all confused on what her feelings were. She really wanted to prove that she wasn't in some sort of love or like for him. He had messed with her head and she let things affect her. It all happened fast and that was something she didn't understand or want to.

"No, two more days."

"Sleep is the best form of healing." She repeated him in the same way he did. For the last day she has asked and every time he said the same thing.

"Then you know already. If you'd like I'll bring Mr. Hotpants in to sedate you."

"No!" She yelled. She didn't like the way she felt when she woke up from that. He had used it a few times on her when she would get out of bed to walk around and stretch her stiff legs. "I'll stay here and try and force myself."

"Okay." He wrote on her clipboard then walked out of the little curtained room.

Ophelia moved the bed to lay a little more flat after the doctor had moved her upright to examine her. She closed her eyes and took deep breaths to calm herself enough to focus on sleeping.

She laid there trying and failing for over an hour. She heard the sounds of footsteps that felt like they were trying to not make much sound. She didn't move when she heard the metal of the curtain slowly move across the metal bar. She kept her focus on her breathing.

The steps came up to the side of the bed and stopped. They stood there for a bit with no words. Ophelia kept her focus as much as she wanted to know who came to the bedside. The steps moved from the side of the bed to the foot of the bed and stood there. Finally the steps moved and she slowly opened her eyes and saw the black cape move the curtain as she realized Tabnam had come to see her again. She was glad she faked being asleep.

It took her a second to realize when she saw his cape she held her breath and now needed to let it out.

"Doc, says your vitals are showing you're not sleeping." Griffin came in.

"No, please, no. I don't like the way it feels when you have to sedate me." Ophelia told him.

"See that's the thing, it's not supposed to feel good afterwards because you're not supposed to wake up from it."

"What do you mean?" Ophelia asked. The only education she got was what they wanted to teach and it was mostly about being a lady and how to make small talk.

"When someone like me sedates you it's to kill." He stroked his arm feeling a bit guilty.

"So you choose not to kill when you sedate someone?" She moved the bed to sit up. It was the first time that she was actually trying to have a real conversation with him without him trying to flirt with her, unless because she had no necklace his words didn't bother her.

"Sort of. I met Tabnam and he convinced me that this could be useful. Even though it only works on the females."

"Why doesn't he have one for the male workers?" Ophelia asked.

Griffin laughed. "Female sirens tend to enjoy the effect on males then my species does." Ophelia gave him a questioned look. "Okay, the way they use their siren spell is more of a way to have their way and as any widow species kills right after. They really despise males and aren't helpful in a medical way."

"Oh I see now."

"I still have to get you to sleep."

"Wait!" Ophelia looked at him with pleading eyes. "I have one question for you."

"Okay fine, but then it's time to put you to sleep."

"The thing about saying a name."

"You want to know why you said Tabnam's name."

"Yeah, when I clearly don't like him." She got defensive.

"You don't have to admit to yourself when you love someone. That's actually in your subconscious. So denial will never help you with this. So goodnight." With that he looked at her and she felt blissful then the dark kicked in.