Chapter 5

Jared glares at the laughing employees as he brushes his black hair out of his face. His chocolate eyes darken as the mayor makes fun of him and Colby.

"But it's true!" Colby blushes as his hazel eyes fill with disappointment once again. Colby knows they sound crazy but people must know the truth.

"Yeah and pigs fly!" A secretary yells.

"Actually, pigs might be able to fly..." Colby answers thoughtfully as his curly blonde hair sloppily falls into his face. The cluster of people fall silent at this illustrating thought before turning in amusement to the two deceiving boys.

"I know we saw mermaids! They were swimming away and-" Jared is cut off by the mayor's shrewd voice.

"You were water logged!" he yells over the muttering mob.

"That's the thing! We weren't water logged! We just fell out of our boat and-" Colby protests but a loud laugh cuts him off.

"Take them out of the City Hall!" The mayor commands as two bulky security guard's grab Colby and Jared, roughly, guiding them outside. Rejected and downcast Jared and Colby are thrown out of City Hall into the sunny streets.

"How about we try the library?" Colby suggests dully.

"No, we've already been to the police, the coastguard, our science teacher who was on summer break and now we got kicked out of City Hall!" Jared kicks a tin can in frustration. "Who would believe us anyway? We're just two students from high school! People probably think we're on drugs!"

Colby sighs before brightening up, "How about we find proof? Then we can show it to everyone and no one can call us liars!" Colby exclaims.

Jared furrows his eyebrows as he envisions the suggestion before his chocolate colored eyes widen. "That just might work! Where would we start though? I mean there wasn't anyone at the beach except that house that..." Jared trails off as he regards Colby thoughtfully. "Are you thinking what I'm thinking?"

"You're thinking of catching mermaids too?" Colby asks disbelief evident on his face.

"No, you idiot! We have to go question the owners of that beach house!" Jared snaps, slapping Colby on the shoulder.

"Right!" Colby responds, following Jared to his car.

"Just get in." Jared replies cooly as he rolls his eyes. He hops into the driver's seat. Colby grunts before sitting on the passenger side, slamming his door shut.

"Won't the owner be suspicious? I mean we'll look like lunatics," he points out.

"We'll just ask if he's noticed anything suspicious in the last few days." Jared grumbles while starting the engine of his red truck.

~~~

"Ouch!" Lolo yelps as the shark shoves her roughly towards the grand throne room.

Keep moving mermaid The shark gruffly orders.

"Just swim a bit faster." Maddog whispers. Lolo nods, her long ebony hair floating wildly in the salty water. They glide under a golden arch with seashells stuck to the sides in a fancy pattern. Jellyfish gently bob up and down in the slow current while spreading their luminous glow onto the majestic entrance.

"We are trying to help Atlantis! Honest! I mean Atlantis is going to rise without our assistance and-" Maddog rushes attempting to get her and Lolo out of their dilemma.

"Shush Maddog! We'll just tell King Poseidon. I've heard he's very gracious." Lolo's voice is shaky though. Maddog's hope deflates as they swim closer to the grand throne room. The sharks pull to a stop; their muscular tails lash against the water as the circle back. Now, three feet away from the stone entryway, they ram into the doors.