XIII.

The air is sweet and warm, pixies buzz around us as I lay on the grass, my head resting on Kats knees as she brushes her fingers through my hair.

I close my eyes in utter bliss and run my fingers through the tickling grass.

Kats stars humming softly a happy tune, the melody fluttering around us.

I peek up at her, she smiles down at me, the sun above her burning her auburn locks of hair as they fall around us in a red curtail.

Her grey green eyes hold so much love and happiness in them, causing me to smile back at her. For some reason feeling an aching sadness.

Why am I sad?

I stare out into the never ending meadow. My eyes start feeling heavy. I feel myself falling slowly into darkness.

"Lillian..." Kat whispers softly and trails her fingers lightly down my cheek. Lifting me away from the darkness.

"Lillian don't go..."

I force my eyes open and stare at her. My gaze trails across her freckles, across a small scar she has on her chin from when we had trained together and I had finally managed to beat her.

I smile at the memory and lock my eyes with hers, something in my eyes makes hers fills with anguish, making their grey colour darken and shimmer.

"It's not your time Lillian"

"But I'm tired"

She shakes her head. Her vibrant curls catching the sun.

"I know Lillian, I know." She chokes out as she entwines her fingers with my hair again. I frown at her expression.

Why are you sad?

I start to drift off again, peace numbing my limps. I feel her brush her lips against my forehead lightly.

"Just hold on Lillian" Something wet drips on to my cheeks, her tears....

"Just hold on."

I close my eyes again. "Why?"

"Because we are coming for you"

Darkness beckons me with a loving hand, I reach towards it, yearning the quiet, the painless sleep it promises me. But Kats' words flutter in my consciousness as I finally grab a hold of it.

Just hold on.

______________

Something cold and wet drips down my chin and down my neck, my eyes snap open in alarm to find Rika holding her cup of water up to my lips and gently pouring the water down my throat.

I choke and sit up abruptly, coughing. I wipe my mouth and crawl away from her. When I lick my lips I find that they aren't cracked anymore and my throat isn't as raw. But my muscles still quiver with strain as I move.

Rika backs away to give me some space, concern clearly etched on her pale face.

Shame fills me as i recall what the craze of dehydration had made me do before i had passed out. But its quickly forgotten when a voice breaks the silence.

"Finish the water." Max commands from the darkness of his cell. I frown and am about to give a snarky reply but it dies down when I remember Kats words.

"We are coming for you."

We are coming

My eyes water at the realisation and new found hope that they are going to come and save me. I eye the cup of water in Rikas hands.

I have to stay alive for them. For Kat.

Do you?  The dark voice whispers.

I push it down and with determination and crawl closer to the witch and slowly wrap my fingers around the cool metal of the cup. Before I know it I'm drinking every last drop of it and nearly moan in relief when I feel the water soothing my aches. When I finish it I gently set it down.

"Thank you" I say hoarsely. Offering Rika a small smile which she returns with her chipped one.

"You needed it."

Before I can reply the echo of an iron door opening resonates around us. Rika quickly smothers her light. I tense in terror as I hear the familiar, rusty voice.

"Hello little nymph" its delighted voice drills into my head. I creep to the furthest corner of my cell as quietly as I can. But as I do the door to my cell slowly groans open. Silence chokes me.

"Are you ready to play?"

________________