Quatre - A Ball of Successes

THE day of the ball arose with the sun, and Persephone felt like a child on Christmas morning, filled with eagerness and greed

Sody, Persephone's house elf, slipped Persephone into her crimson silk robe as she went to find her family, who were already dining in the breakfast room attached to the kitchen. Well, "dining" is a liberal word, as her mother had nothing in front of her save tea and papers she was writing upon, no doubt last minute plans about the ball. Faustine was staring out the window in her sheer pink robe, leaving her grapefruit untouched. Persephone would not have been able to see her father past the Daily Prophet in his hands, were he not sitting in his regular spot at the head of the table with his coffee. The only one who was eating was Damen, who was wolfing down a fry-up.

"Do try to breathe between bites, Dammy," Persephone said, as she waltzed in and grabbed a pomegranate.

"The art of the fry-up is a specially crafted science that I've perfected, Sephy. Don't worry about me."

"Look who decided to finally grace us with her presence at 11am! Rough night, sister? I believe you were gone most of yesterday." Faustine asked, turning her moss eyes away from the window and onto her younger sister.

"I appreciate your concern, truly, Faustine, but I was just visiting Emily. She was designing a dress for me. But you're right, I am rather tired. A coffee please, Sody."

"She'll have a tea. Coffee stains your teeth, dear." Geneviève interrupted. Sody ran to the kitchens after hearing her Mistress' words.

"Emily designed your dress. You must be jesting. I've never heard of such a thing."

"She's quite talented, actually," Persephone responded and she placed pomegranate seeds in her mouth.

"And easy on the eyes, as well." Damen said, smirking.

"Well, let's just hope you don't embarrass the family." Faustine stated as she leaned back and crossed her arms.

"If I were you, sister I'd worry more about me upstaging you." Smirked Persephone, right before the pomegranate exploded in her face.

"You'll certainly be eye-catching with a red face, Sephy." Laughed Faustine as she put her wand down. Persephone's face became a mask of horror, as she faced Damen, who doubled over in laughter, his fist hitting the table.

Persephone stood up to look at herself in the mirror, and began to giggle underneath her breath. Seth lowered his newspaper only below his eyes, as if noticing his family for the first time, and chuckled as if this was the most normal occurrence in the world.

Geneviève, upon realizing her husband would do nothing, rolled her eyes, turned her youngest daughter's face back to its normal shade, and barked orders for them all to sit back down. Her husband's newspaper promptly returned back up.