𝘙𝘦𝘴𝘤𝘶𝘦𝘥

-3rd Person-

"Laurie! Wait-" Jo yelled, but it was too late, he had already jumped into the water. Jo looked over at a sobbing Amy who sat on the snow. They looked at each other and had a shared understanding, their prior quarreling no longer mattered.

Jo looked back into the water in anticipation and fear, she could no longer see Eliza and she could barely make out Laurie's legs as he swam farther and farther down. Bubbles floated to the top of the water as Jo held her hand over her mouth and tears flowed over her cheeks.

She thought about the first time she met Eliza and how excited she was to have another sister, they grew up together hand in hand, acted out plays for Marmee and Father, and how Eliza somehow saw the light in everything even though her life was a difficult one.

Jo thought about how she met Laurie for the first time. He looked at her and Eliza like they were the light of his life, he had a specific gaze when he watched Eliza, and how they always wore smiles on their faces when all three of them were together.

Jo and Eliza had only known Laurie for two months but it felt much longer... What would happen if they didn't come out of the water...

Suddenly, Jo saw Laurie emerge from the darkness, he held a limp Eliza in one arm while the other swam upward. She gasped and yelled to Amy, "He has her! "

Laurie gasped as he and Eliza broke the surface, "She's unconscious! Pull her up! " 

Jo pulled Eliza out of the water by her coat as Laurie pushed her onto the solid ice, he then propped himself up, put on his coat, and ran over to where Jo was holding Eliza in her arms. "Let's move her to the snow! " Laurie lifted her by the shoulders while Jo held her feet as they walked over to where Amy sat in the snow.

Once Eliza was laid down, Jo held Amy while Laurie held his head over Eliza's face, listening for any sounds. "She's not breathing... "

Jo and Amy silently cried in shock as he started chest compressions. Jo shuffled over to Eliza's head, she moved her hair out of her sister's face and whispered with tears streaming down her face. "Don't leave me, Eliza... Please..."

Laurie stopped with the chest compressions, pinched Eliza's nose with his fingers, and breathed air into her mouth...

After another round of chest compressions and breathing, there still wasn't a response. Amy said with a broken voice. "Laurie... She's not waking up- " 

He interrupted the young girl. "I'm not giving up on her. Come on, Eliza! " He shivered as he did the chest compressions harder and faster as Jo and Amy sat there speechless. Laurie grew weak from him having to swim in frozen waters to him now having to repeatedly use all of his strength to push on her chest...

Finally, after a few moments, Eliza began coughing up water. Amy and Jo gasped in relief and Jo helped Laurie turn her on her side. 

"There you go! It's ok, Eliza!" Jo reassured as her sister continued to cough up the water that filled her lungs. Laurie sat back on his legs and sighed in relief.

Eliza looked lethargic and whenever they talked to her she wouldn't respond.

"Jo, you help Amy walk and try to get to your house as fast as you can. I'll carry, Eliza. " He said as he picked her up. Jo helped hold Amy up as they quickly walked to get Marmee.

"Eliza? Can you hear me? " Laurie asked as he weakly walked with her in his arms. her eyes stopped roaming around and landed on his face, seemingly comforted by him. He tried to encourage the girl that he held in his arms. "We'll be home soon ok? Just hang in there, we still have to go to Europe? Remember?"