Chapter 3

Newt walked all over the Glade, pointing out where things were and how things worked.

".....And that's about it. Any questions?"

"Who put us here? Why?"

Newt sighed," We call them Creators, but we don't really know for sure. But what we do know, is that we're gonna get out of this. All of us. Together."

Casey leaned against a tree,"How do you know that for sure?"

"I don't. I just infer that."

"Why?"

"Because I like to think that somewhere out there in the world, there's someone calling for you. Screaming your name. And the only thing blocking that sound is the Creators," he looked her dead in the eyes,"And we won't hear those voices until the Creators are defeated, and that sound wall comes crashing down, showing us what we want and need to see. But thinking this, it gives you motivation, to know someone out there needs you as much as you need them."

Someone whistled appreciatively,"Deep, man."

Casey turned to see the sarcastic boy Minho, standing a few feet away,"You sure know how to punch someone in the feels gut, Newt-o."

Newt rolled his eyes,"I'm just answering a question."

"What? A Shakespeare question?"

"Whatever, dude." Newt looked at Casey again,"Want anything else answered?"

"Oh, there's a lot I want answered, doesn't mean I'm gonna get it answered."

"True dat, girl." Minho said.

Newt shrugged,"Okay, Ms.Blunt. Whatever. I'll find Chuck for you, he'll show you around, sleep arrangements, yada, yada. Then tomorrow, you get to start a job."

"Oh boy." Casey sarcastically remarked.

Newt started to walk away, but called over his shoulder,"No more time with Minho. We don't need another sarcastic shank."

"I'm not a sarcastic shank, slinthead!" Minho protested.

"Dude," Casey said,"I haven't been here for a day, and I already know that's exactly what you are."

~

Chuck was something else.

The little ball of smiles ran up to Casey once he knew that was his new task, immediately introduced himself and gave Casey his two cents about the Glade.

He led her over to a cemetery.

"We call this place the Deadheads. It's kinda peaceful, just don't look in that glass. I did once, gave me nightmares for a week."

Casey would've laughed if she wasn't so bummed out. She didn't belong here, Chuck didn't belong here, Newt, Minho or anyone! But yet here they were, getting a lesson on dead people.

Chuck frowned,"What's up with you? Thomas was more upbeat when he came."

Casey shook herself out of her thoughts of what to do with the Creators, if she ever met them,"I dunno, Chuck. When you came were you just thrilled to be here?"

"Not really, no."

"I prove my point."

Chuck shrugged like her response was acceptable. Then continued showing her other things, such as the Maze doors.

"This, is the West Door. The Runners go out there every day and look for an escape, so we can get out of this klunk hole. One of Alby's rules for the Glade: Never, go past those doors."

Casey walked up and ran her hand on the cool cement,"What's out there?"

"A maze."

"Besides the Maze."

Chuck looked uneasy,"We call them Grievers."

When he didn't say more, Casey pressed him,"And?"

"You don't want to know."

"Obviously I do, if I'm asking."

"No. I- I won't tell you now."

Casey was beyond pissed at this whole place,"What's with all the 'I don't knows' and 'nah, that can wait?' Im freaking sick of it. I just got here, and you won't tell me diddly bop!"

Chuck snorted,"Diddly Bop?"

Casey whacked his shoulder,"Not. Important. Right. Now."

When the boy continued laughing, Casey dropped the subject.

Chuck continued laughing as he showed her where to sleep.

"And this-" (snort) "Your pillow-" (chuckle) "Blanket" (at this point he was on his knees.)

Chuck decided to leave, apparently his fellow Sloppers didn't like slacking. So, that left Casey alone, cross legged on her blanket.

Around thirty minutes later, someone said behind her,"Rough first day?"

Casey turned her head to see a boy with dark hair and eyes, his arms crossed, smile plastered on his face.

"Who're you?"

The boy sat down next to her,"Im Thomas. And you're, Casey, right?"

She nodded.

"You never answered my question. Rough first day?"

"No better than yours, Chuck gave me some insight."

"The little shank. But it was that bad, huh?"

She nodded again.

"Trust me, it'll only get better. It may not seem like that now, but when one door closes-"

"Another one opens."

This time, Thomas was the one nodding. Casey didn't remember who told her that, but she remembered it.

Thomas got up,"It's dinner, anyway. Care to join me?"

Casey decided that was probably the best invite she had all day.