Chapter 2 : Careful What You Wish For

Chapter 2 - Careful What You Wish For

Will's POV

It was a 40 something degree day (us guys don't check the weather) and Zane & I were lazing around under the heat of the radiating sun in the backyard of our shared place.

"Mate, this is the life." Zane smiled as he reclined further back on his beach chair, holding an ice-cold beer.

"You betcha!" I agreed with a grin, in-between sips of my own beer.

"Who needs chicks when we've got this?" Zane said, as I shot him a questioning glance, knowing that he was lying slightly, ignoring the thought of a certain fiery blonde girl he still loved.

"Yeah, right" I agreed hesitantly, both Zane & I knowing his statement wasn't a hundred percent accurate for me either.

So much had changed since our final year of high school.

Zane & I who previously couldn't stand each other, had grown close after finding some common ground. I'd even go as far as to call him my best mate...

A few months ago, we'd decided to rent a place together after I needed freedom and independence from Sophie, and Zane from his dad.

At the end of year 12, Zane's relationship with Rikki had already ended, but my own relationship with Bella had just begun, or progressed from being friends with hidden mutual feelings for each other.

That was another change.

Time and a lot of other things had passed in our previously burgeoning relationship which was no longer anything pleasant. I hadn't seen Bella since things ended nearly 18 months ago and Zane hadn't seen Rikki in just over two years after she strangely separated herself completely from Zane & I, only keeping in contact with the girls.

I know Lewis had told Zane bits & pieces that Cleo had told him about Rikki and what she was up to, but the two hadn't had direct contact in that time.

#

"I could do this all day" Zane sighed contently as he took another sip from his beer bottle, and swivelled down lower in his chair.

"Yeah, so could I, but unlike some more fortunate, I have to go out and look for a job" I said, using every ounce of motivation in me to resist the temptation of hanging out with him and enjoying the sunshine and perfect weather.

"You're such a party pooper Will!" Zane bellowed out as I stood up, and quickly sculled the remaining drops of beer as I headed for the house to go and get ready.

I shook my head in annoyance as I ignored Zane's added pressure. I really wanted to stay back and spend the rest of the day relaxing, but the common sense in me knew that I had to get a job if I even wanted a chance of living in comfortable luxury like this with Zane.

Zane noticed my ignorance and added "Where ya going again?"

I stopped as I lent against the frame of the sliding door. "I'm just gonna drop my resume into a places in the city. See how that goes" I said before walking inside to prepare to leave as well as getting away to reduce Zane's pressure.

#

Half an hour after I'd left Zane to enjoy the serenity of the perfect day on his own, I'd left the house and driven into the city to start handing out my resume. I'd basically thrown it anywhere that had an opening hours sign.

I was seriously that desperate.

Sure, the odd dive comps had given me a pretty decent amount of money, but they were so few & far between and weren't enough to live on.