All Night

clay pov//

"DREAAAAAM," George whines into the phone when Clay picks up.

"OWWW. Oh my God, George, you just screamed in my ear!!"

"Sorry not sorry. Are you staying up with me? I have to get up super early anyways."

Clay glances at the time: 10:56. He sighs into the phone. "How long do I have to stay up?"

At 11:36, they're still on call. George is running around his house, desperately trying to find last minute items to bring. Especially since he'll be staying for a week.

Clay lays in his bed, facing his ceiling, letting George's voice swim in his ears. He smiles, listening to him talk about nothing. He listens to his breath, panting as he sprints down the hallways of his house.

"I'm missing something. I don't know what it is," George says.

"I don't know," is all Clay responds with as George runs around each room frantically searching.

"Oh my god!" George says, accent heavy. "My gum. That's what it was. My ears always hurt after the plane. I'm gonna go find it right now. I think I know where I left it? Oh wait... what if it's... hmmm...." Clay just lays here, listening to George.

"I think I found it." He pauses, and there's rustling over the line. "Yup, I found it. I'm gonna put it in my backpack right now."

"Okay, George," he says, chuckling.

"Shut up Dream," he says, but you can hear his smile through his lighthearted tone.

There's zippers and more rustling over the line, which is, Clay assumes, George putting away the gum.

"Oh my god, Dream! Can you hear Cat?? She's meowing so loud right now!"

"Wait shhh I think I can..." he pauses and listens. There's faint mewling on the other line. "I can!! Very faintly though."

"She's so cute oh my god come here kittyyy," George says, making Clay melt. Whenever he gets excited over little things... Clay loves it. To be honest, Clay loves a lot of little things about George.

Repress it. Come on!! You have to keep your shit together, Dream, he thinks to himself. How are you going to do this when he is actually in front of your face?

"Dream, say hi to Cat!!! She's right here. Can you hear her?"

Cat meows loudly and Clay laughs. "I can!! Hi Cat!!"

George laughs and plays with her for a bit. Clay just listens and falls harder. But he pretends he doesn't. Tells himself it's platonic.

"Oh my god Dream I wish you could see this right now. She is soooo cute. She's like, in the perfect spot and she's like curled up in her little..."

This feeling is not platonic.

"Where are you right now Dream?" George asks after lots of play and petting with Cat. And after that, he did some dishes, and cleaned up a bit more.

"I'm just laying down. Why?"

"I think I'm gonna do that too. What time is it?"

Clay checks his phone. "2:13."

"Oh wow!! Time flies. I'm super tired, so just in case I fall asleep, I'm going to set an alarm."

"When do you wake up, George?"

"In like, maybe 3 ish hours."

"Oh god, I forgot the time zones were so fucked. You're gonna have massive jet lag."

"Ughhh, don't remind me. I'll definitely sleep a TON on the plane though. Ughhh the flights are so loooong... Dream I'm gonna be sooooo BORED," George whines.

Clay chuckles. "We've got 3 hours. What should we do?"

"I don't know. I like talking to you, if... if that counts..." George trails off, his voice soft.

Clay shudders with joy, his heart melting.

"It definitely counts."

They talk all night. Over everything. For three straight hours, they talk. And by everything, it's everything. From video ideas to old pets to ice cream to childhood stuffed animals to flowers. From the world to the universe to space to planets to solid rocky ground. They almost cover it all. George has theories, Clay listens with sparkles in eyes. When it's his turn, Clay speaks, and George listens. Clay can only hope George has the same feeling in his chest when he talks. Or even worse, he's selfish enough to wish that none of this was like this. That it was 100% platonic, that Sapnap wouldn't have to deal with it, that the fans wouldn't have to hear it. But it was there, and it was real. Clay's feelings were more than real. It was terrifying.

"What am I gonna do when you get here? And you're in front of me?" Clay asks softly out loud, hoping George doesn't really know what he's talking about.

"You'll probably hug me, idiot. Resist the urge to kiss me, though. I know I'm attractive but you're gonna have to hold back," George jokes.

Clay tries to hide his flustered-ness. He responds, "That won't be a problem," but... will it?

Eventually, George goes to the airport.