7

This is sort of how I envision Alyssas bedroom.

Alyssa Davis

It's Thursday night and I'm having dinner with Iris at my place.

I'm meeting up with Harry after school tomorrow and I know he'll be expecting answers from Iris, so now is the time to get them.

Since he's kept his end of the deal, I'm going to do the same and pray that's the end of it and we can go our separate ways when this project is done. Being involved with him has been stressful enough and it's only been so superficial. Can't imagine actually knowing him. Does anyone? Does he have actual friends? Surely he can't form relationships that last in two week... can he?

Anyway I've thought out a plan of how to ask her without mentioning Harry, because I'm scared that'll get messy.

We're upstairs in my room. Because of the loft apartment's layout, the room is narrow but long.

I've got a queen sized bed and overall the aesthetic is neutral and toned down. Mostly grey and cool brown tones graze my walls and decor.

There's a wooden wall which is one of my favorite features and the room is actually a perfect size. I can fit everything I need in here without it getting too big and spacious.

Above my bed, which is always filled with pillows, I've got six picture frames. A couple feet from it, I've got a makeup table which also serves as a desk and to the other side of my bed is a closet.

This has always been my safe haven, I've experienced so many emotions in this room.

This is where I lost my virginity, this is where I've told Iris the most personal things about me, this is where my dad has comforted me when I was sad about my mother and lastly, I've done tons and tons of homework in here.

When this room someday won't be mine anymore, I'll miss it. For some reason it just has an energy about it that makes me feel so safe and comfortable.

Maybe it's because I don't bring just anyone in here. Only people I care about and trust, gets to come upstairs.

Whenever I've hosted study groups or little get together's, my room is always off limits. It's mine and I decide who and what goes in there. And I like it that way.

I'm currently sitting on my bed, waiting for Iris to finish ordering food. My palms are sweaty, I hate that I have to do this.

"Well, who would've guessed that ordering Chinese food from a guy, who only speaks Chinese, would be so difficult" she chuckles, letting herself fall down beside me.

I just laugh quietly in response as she drops the phone and menu on my side table.

"Iris, can I ask you a question?" I turn my face to hers, chewing a little on the inside of my cheek. I've pulled the sleeves of my shirt past my knuckles, so I'm clutching the edges in my hands.

She just nods.

"Are Jeremy's parties really that fun?" I sit up a little more straight, my back against the headboard as I look into her pale blue eyes.

"I think so, yeah" she nods, sitting up straighter as well, still laying down enough to rest on my shoulder though.

"I mean, I've heard so much about them, the ones over summer... wasn't there one over spring break too?" I casually enter my topic of interest, trying to act less serious about it.

God, I'm a horrible liar... I think? Or maybe I'm a decent liar but with a conscience not cut out for it... Anyway I feel like shit.

She just nods, tucking back a strand of blonde hair behind her ear.

"Did you go to that one?" I am trying so hard to seem like I'm just making conversation, and I really hope it's working.

In hopes of not seeming nervous, I let my head fall to rest on top of hers on my shoulder.

"Yeah... you know that was the one, right?" She picks up her head and sits up, looking at me like I'm supposed to know what the hell she's talking about.

"What do you mean?" I shift in my seat, mirroring her criss-cross positing.

"That party... It's the one- it's the one where Holly died" she clears her throat as she says it, almost like she just said a curse word.

Oh dear.

Holly Cox was an exchange student, British like Harry. She came here last summer and was supposed to leave when the schoolyear ended.

But at a party over spring break she tragically passed away. I've heard lots of different reasons, but the true cause of death is unknown to me. I've never really felt comfortable asking any of her friends.

I wasn't close to Holly, I didn't know her that well and probably wouldn't be able to recall her face unless I saw a picture, but apparently she was super sweet and had a bright personality.

Everyone was shocked, of course and most people from the school, myself included, went to her memorial.

She was buried at home in England but the school organized a memorial for her, that students and other American friends could attend.

Now my next question of course is, what the hell does Harry have to do with this?

"Did you... talk to her that night?" I swallow as I ask my question, this one actually being for my own knowledge and not Harry's.

"A little, I guess... I spent most of that night with Jeremy in his room though... I stayed the night" she adds the last part casually, as though it's no big deal.

But these are news to me.

"You what?!" I stand up off the bed with my jaw dropped.

"I know" she buries her face in her hands in embarrassment while laughing.

"You hooked up with Jeremy?!" I'm shouting at this point but I've got no control over my shock and disbelief.

She just nods, rolling on her side with her face still covered.

"Why didn't you tell me?!" I still can't believe it, she really hooked up with Jeremy.

"I don't know, I just... It happened and we never spoke about it again, I think I've repressed it" she giggles, pulling me down next to her again.

I start laughing at this point too, I can't believe she hooked up with Jeremy and didn't tell me.

"That bad?"

"That bad" she nods, throwing us both into another laughing fit.

Poor Jeremy, he's a nice guy but this situation is just too funny.

"I was sad that night and he comforted me and it just kinda happened" she starts explaining, wiping the tears of laughter from under her eyes.

"That is insane" I keep chuckling, rolling on my back so we're laying next to each other.

"...Why were you sad?" I ask, after a little bit of silence.

But my question remains unanswered, because suddenly the doorbell echoes in the living room.

"That must be the food, I'll get it" she doesn't hesitate to get up off the bed and leave me behind, her blonde waves being the last thing that leaves my sight.

Let's hope that's enough information to get Harry off my back...