Part 2: Liam

The doors slid open on their tracks then quickly slammed shut, nearly snatching the Uncle P's cigar out of Liam's mouth. He scowled, adjusted the cigar between his lips, and forced his fingers between the doors. Pulling against the magnetic safeties, he leaned into it until the emergency sensor chimed and the doors were opened by the safety subroutine. Inside was the communications center of Eagle-X's micro-station.

"Damnit, Nash, I told you to have that door repaired!"

"I'm sorry, Mr. Marcus. I'll get someone from maintenance right on it."

"I feel like we're stuck in a dance that just won't end."

Richard Nash rushed over, splitting his attention between his datapad and his boss. He was a short man with short cut blonde hair and a thin mustache. He was responsible for keeping the micro-stations comms online.

"I know, Mr. Marcus. We're trying, but we're always low on supplies and the door is low on maintenance's to-do list."

"Ummm, Mr. Marcus," a young man nervously approached, "you can't smoke in here."

Liam removed the cigar and waved it around for everyone to see.

"I'm not going to smoke it," he grumbled. "I just like the flavor."

Nash pinched the bridge of his nose and shook his head. "Back to work, Smith!"

"Sorry, sir!"

The young man rushed back to his station. His colleagues all shaking their heads.

"What brings you here, Mr. Marcus. Aren't you and the team scheduled for departure in an hour?"

"Yes," Liam returned the Uncle P back to its rightful place between his lips. "We're loaded up and doing final checks. We only have one problem."

"What's that, sir?"

"No one has seen my partner."

"Has anyone tried his quarters, sir?"

"I've sent a few people. No answer." Liam removed the cigar and put it in the holder he kept clipped to his belt.

"Maybe he's not there?"

"Maybe." A smile spread across Liam's face.

"Sir, please..."

"We're going to page him."

"But the last time someone disturbed Mr. Scott, he put them through a construction barrier."

"Sure did."

"Sir?"

"We're on the clock, Nash." Liam looked around the comms. "Which display are we going to use?"

Nash mopped the sweat from his brow.

"I guess we'll use my station, sir..."

"Good man."

Liam waited as Nash nervously typed in the commands to activate the paging system in Scott's room. Liam envisioned the big felarnian sprawled out across his bed, snoring away the day while the rest of the team waited for take-off. It was no secret Scott balked at all forms of authority, most people just accepted it. Even Liam was often guilty, but this was a complete disregard for everyone else's time and the mission in general. Liam couldn't just turn a blind eye.

"Are you sure, Mr. Marcus?"

"Do it."

Nash pressed the button to execute his commands.

The display came to life revealing a dimly lit room. On one wall was an arsenal of swords and other bladed weapons. Beside them were two suits of antique felarnian armor, symbols of an era before space travel when the cat people of felarnia fought in endless wars for territory and honor. On the other side of the room was what could only be described as a massive bean bag covered in blankets and small pillows. It looked a lot like a felarnian home mound, their traditional bed. Clothes were strewn everywhere.