TWENTY TWO: Dad likes her

Adaeze pov

Everyone has been acting weird to me today. Stella had gone to work by the time I woke up and when I called she was just saying she was busy. Ire came to the office to greet and left just like that. All the workers has been smiling to me since morning. What is going on?

Mike had been acting somehow to me lately, it's been two weeks since that incident happened and I heard a rumour that ire threatened Mike to stay away from me.

"Adaeze, are you listening to me?" Lara asked.

"Yes I am, what were you saying?"

"I asked you if Mr ire is your boyfriend" She said

"No, why would you think so?"

"Because he has never cared for anyone like he is doing for you" She answered.

"Lara, I and ire are just friends and to answer your thought, he cares for me like friends do to each other" I replied.

"Okay"

"We have to go to the market today" I said.

"No, Mr ire said you have to go home early today" She replied.

"Hi ladies" Damola said entering.

"Mr damola good afternoon" lara greeted.

"Good afternoon, how are you guys doing?" He sat down.

"Mr damola, I have to go now and Adaeze, don't forget you have to go home early" lara said and walked out.

"How is your job going?" Damola asked.

"Fine, thank you"

***********

Ire pov

I tiptoe up the stairs to avoid being seen by mom.

"Hey son"

"Good evening dad" I greeted.

"Good evening, how was your day?" He asked.

"Fine, is mom home?" I asked

He laughed.

"How long would you avoid her?"

I drop my suitcase and walked down the stairs.

"As long as she continues talking about marriage" I answered.

"Ire" dad called

"Yes dad"

One of my business associate wife is celebrating her birthday so she's inviting the family" He said.

"What day is that?"

"This Saturday, can you make it?"

"Yes I'll try"

"Ire, on the day of the party bring a lady who would act as your girlfriend cause your mom has a lady on mind for you"

"I have a lady already" I replied.

"Who?"

"Her name is Adaeze and mom has met her already but doesn't like her" I answered.

"Is it the adaeze that was accused of stealing?" Dad asked.

I hummed in response.

"I would love to meet the lady whom my son defended" He said and picked up the newspaper lying on the handle of his chair.

"I hope you accept her dad" I said

"I already, for my son to have defended her in front of the world that means she is worth my liking"

"Thanks dad"

"Anything for you"

****************

I fixed my seat belt as ire drives the car home. The weather is dark and I want to get home quickly because I hate thunderstorm, it reminds me of my past.

"Are you busy this saturday?" Ire asked.

"No, why did you ask?"

"One of my dad friends is organising a party and I want to as you to come with me" He answered.

Saturday. I don't do anything on that day so I have no option that to say yes.

"Okay, by what time?" I asked

"Evening, I'll pick you up if that's okay by you"

"It is" I replied

"Thank you Adaeze, how's the canteen going?" He asked.

"Fine, there are some stuffs which the workers aren't baking well so I assist them" I replied.

"That's nice, can you bake something for me?"

"Okay, I will send it up to your office tomorrow" Why am I agreeing to all his wishes, this is not me.

"Please, bring it by your self"

I nodded in response.

"Thanks" He said.

Silence ensued as I listen to the radio. I just remember something.

"Ire?" I called.

"Yes"

"You said your dad friend is organising the party, right?" I asked.

"Yes, any problem?"

"Not really, that means your dad would be there and if you are going, your family would also be there" I said stating the obvious.

"Yes" He replied

"What if they hate me just like your mom?" I asked.

"No Adaeze, you have met my brother, was he harsh to you?" He asked.

"No"

"Then you have no problem with the rest of the family, they are like my brother" He assured me.

"Ok" I hope he is right.

*****************

Saturday morning

I stroll down the large garden as I sighted my mom in the middle of the garden. She's wearing a long black gown which isn't common.

"Adaeze, you are here" She beckoned to me.

"Mom, you are alive?" I asked as I touch her arms. She's real.

"Yes and we have been looking for you" She said.

"I want to follow you home mom" I begged as I held unto her clothes so she won't leave again.

"I will come for you one day" She said and removes my hand from her dress. She started walking away, no floating.

"Mom, don't leave me" I cried.

My eyes flew open, that was a dream. The stupid sound of my phone pulled me up.

"Hello"

"Hey Adaeze, good morning" Ire greets

"Goodmorning" I replied

"Are you ready for the party today?" He asked.

"Yes" I answered.

"Kay, just wanted to know, bye"

"Bye" I said and ended the call.

Vote
Comment
Share