CHAPTER 28

Emerald St. Clair's POV

Three days had passed since I arrived here in Saqr. So far those three days had been uneventful events Al-Farsi was busy throughout the day while I spent my time wandering around the capital with Naima I requested for her to be my companion because she was the only person inside the palace that I could trust.

But let's not forget the two discreet bodyguards who were following us at the insistence of the overprotective king. He said he would be at ease if he knew that while I was not inside the palace I would be still safe.

I sighed deeply. I knew he was only doing this to show me that life here in Saqr as his wife would not be a prison as I anticipated. He was letting me do this as I pleased even though he doesn't like the idea of me wandering around without him by my side.

Now I was resting in my room reading some book I bought the other day to kill time. I am not still comfortable sleeping in the queen's quarter I feel like I am the subject of the palace gossip they were probably thinking that I have no right staying in this room. It should be the official bride of the king.

I was startled when the adjacent door suddenly flung open. I was quite surprised to see Al-Farsi early this afternoon. Usually, I only see him at night when we're going to dine and spend hours talking before calling a night.

"What are you doing here?" I asked, staring at him while I reclined on the headboard of my bed.

"Pack." He said simply, closing the door behind him. "We're leaving."

I raised an eyebrow in his direction, closing the book I had been reading. "Are we going back to New York now?"

"Not yet." He permitted himself to smile slightly.

I frowned at him. I don't think I like the way he smiles. "So where are we going?"

"To the desert for a few days."

My eyes widened in his direction. "Desert? As in, in the middle of the desert?"

"Yes." He answered, walking towards the bed. "I want to get away from the palace even for a few days only. I want to show you what it's like to live in the desert."

I got intrigued by the idea. "Okay. I will just call Naima so she can also have time to pack her things."

I was about to leave the bed when he gripped my wrist. "No." He shook his head, his eyes glowed while looking at me. "I want some alone time with you without hindrance. Your maid will not accompany you on this trip. Only me, habibti."

I let out a nervous laugh. "I don't think that's a good idea. A desert getaway alone with you will only surely fuel the gossip fire between us."

He started playing with my fingertips. "They will not dare breathe a bad word in your name if they don't want to face my wrath, my love."

"But why so sudden?" I asked searching for his face. "Aren't you busy with state affairs?"

His face broke into a smug grin. "I am currently free from work. I manage to finish my work for the rest of the week so we can have this trip."

Oh, that's the reason why he's so busy since we arrived.

Al-Farsi's smile was so infectious that I found myself also smiling. He was like a kid who was very much excited about this trip. "All right. I will just arrange for my things."

"Great!" He said enthusiastically as he helped me slide off the bed. He watched me search for the clothes that I would need for my sudden trip with him.

I looked over my shoulder when I noticed that he was watching me stuff my things in my luggage with tentative eyes. "Aren't you going to pack yourself?"