CHAPTER 30

Emerald St. Clair's POV

It had been six weeks since I returned to New York. I just arrived from the Hamptons estate of my grandfather celebrating Christmas with my Granddad, my sisters, and their husbands. Weeks before the holidays I dread the time that I need to go to Hamptons and be with my family I knew they were curious about what happened to me back in Saqr and why I don't want to talk about it with anyone.

All they knew was that Khalil and I broke up but they didn't know the reason behind it. Even Daniel was not in his usual calculating manner. He didn't bother to invite Ryker knowing that I am now very much single.

I have been miserable since then. It feels like day by day something inside me slowly dying I haven't left my penthouse since I arrived ignoring my family and the job offers from the famous luxury brand for campaign ads. All I did was cry day and night nursing my broken heart. I did the right thing but why does it feel like I am about to die at the thought of him marrying another woman?

Hell, even Ruby who was known for having an unfiltered mouth seems to be preventing herself from asking about Khalil. I bet that the family gagged her from doing so I am so thankful that they were giving me this space without snooping. In those six weeks, I stopped using my social media accounts and blocked all the news that had something to do with the Middle Eastern country of Saqr.

I just couldn't bring myself to see news about the upcoming coronation of their new king or worse, his impending nuptials to a royal-born woman.

For a moment while I stayed in the Hamptons with my family I forgot my broken heart, now I was back in my apartment the sadness creeping inside me again. I felt myself crying again for some unknown reason.

"What the hell, Em?" I chided myself placing my luggage on my long sofa. "It's been six weeks for heaven's sake! You need to move on."

My mind remembered the night I said goodbye to him on the tarmac where he was crying watching me board his private plane. It nearly kills me leaving him like that telling him that I don't love him.

I lay on my bed and let misery accompany me. I got some tissue on the nightstand and blew my nose. "Today is the last day that you will cry and after that no more, Em. You can't stay like this forever."

I decide to order a box of pizza get one tub of vanilla ice cream in my fridge and watch movies to mend my broken heart. Half an hour later my cheesy pepperoni pizza arrived and I was eating on my bed while watching chick flick movies.

Halfway into my third movie, I heard Ruby bellowing my name on the silent penthouse. "Emerald?! Where are you? Emerald!!!" I frowned as the door of my bedroom burst open revealing my twin with a mischievous grin on her face. "There you are."

"What do you want?"

"Can't you feel the holiday season?" She advanced into my room sitting on the bed. "My God. Stop hiding in your house and go outside."

I grimaced, taking a bite of my pizza and focusing my attention back on the TV. "I don't want to."

"Oh, come on." She cajoled with a smile playing on her lips. "Let's go clubbing."

"I think I'll pass," I replied flatly. The last time I went clubbing with Ryker I made a fool of myself in front of Khalil and I don't want that to happen again.

Ruby groaned in protest. "Oh, Em. You need to go out. This self-house arrest is not healthy for you anymore. You need to go out and have some fun. I don't know what happened between you and Khalil but I need you to remember that I am always here for you."

Now that she mentioned Khalil my eyes start to burn again with tears as I remember my last conversation with Daniel on Christmas Eve in this study room.