CHAPTER 19

Emerald St. Clair's POV

It had been six days since the last time I saw Al-Farsi. I checked my phone for probably the tenth time in the last fifteen minutes. There was no phone call from him.

These past few days, his calls have become very seldom. Yesterday he did call me before I went to bed, but we only talked for a couple of minutes before he said goodbye and that he needed to finish his work.

I get it. He was not a normal man. He has a country to run, and he needs to weigh his every decision because one fatal mistake could cost him and his country. I was aware of the burden placed on his shoulder, but...

I miss the bastard.

I sighed deeply, checking my phone again but still no message from him. I didn't know what kind of spell he put me under since we started pretending to be a couple, and I hate to admit that his black magic was working on me. I was tempted to call him, but I was afraid that I might be a hindrance to his work. So, I settled in, waiting for his call.

"I am excited about our date..." I muttered in my silent living room.

In the past, when I didn't have work, I usually sought the company of my sisters and bonded with them. But now, I was not in the mood to do that. So, I chose to stay in my penthouse and slouch.

Besides, my sisters were probably busy with their new husbands, and since I was the only one who was single, I would just feel out of place when the topic goes to love, having a family, and all those shit things I am not interested in knowing.

My elevator door suddenly opened. I sat up from the sofa.

My eyes widened when I saw my unexpected visitor. "Granddad!"

"Hello, lassie."

"What are you doing here?"

His forehead creased in my direction. "Can't I visit my granddaughter?"

I wanted to roll my eyes. Of course, we both know that this was not a social visit. This cunning man was planning something against me. Maybe he was going to build up his pawn in the game we were having.

Oh, I know how to play your game, gran. I smiled pleasantly in his direction. "Do you want some coffee?"

"Yes, thank you."

I went to the kitchen to get coffee for us. Thankfully, my housekeeper brewed some before she left to restock the pantry.

I went back to the living room with two coffees. I placed them on the center table, where I found Daniel sitting comfortably on the sofa.

"What brings you here, Granddad?" I asked straight away.

Cold green eyes smiled in my direction. "You aren't happy to see me?"

I rolled my eyes. "Oh, come on. We both know that this is not a social visit. Today is Saturday, and everyone knows that you religiously spend your weekends at your fortress in the Hamptons. So, let's cut the chase."

He permitted himself to smile slightly. "Such harsh words for Granddad, lass."

"What do you want from me?" I inquired, titling my eyebrows.

I sighed deeply, taking the coffee cup from the table and sipping for a moment before answering. "It's about that lad, Ryker."

I fucking knew it.

"What about him?" I asked nonchalantly, staring straight into his eyes.

"I heard that he invited you to be his date tonight for his parent's wedding anniversary."