Chapter 1

Disclaimer: Sorry this is not a Johnlock fic! I do love me some Johnlock but I wanna mix it up. Also, I am aware that Oxford University is not in London nor is it close to London really at all...but I want to live out my dark academic dreams through this fanfic so just let it happen.

Also!! I highly suggest you download InteractiveFics from the google chrome store and put your name in for my character because it just hits so different seeing your own name.

Okay, that's all! Enjoy!

Jessie's POV

I would be shitting you if I said I expected my life to turn out the way it has. I've never left America until now and my first out of the country trip was to move into a London apartment I've never seen in person before. I've always been an above-average student and I love academics with my whole heart but I would not have considered myself a genius. I kind of think a "genius" can't exist because someone can't be that smart in everything. I've seen it my whole life. People idolize geniuses whether it be at my school or tv shows but they all have one thing in common that I could never get past. They totally lack social skills, well not all of the supposed geniuses but I'd say a good amount.

I'm sure I will be dealing with that a lot now that I got accepted into my absolute long shot of a school. The University of Oxford with their little 17.5% acceptance rate took me! Little old me. I applied to their Clinical Psychology Ph.D. program out on a whim. I came from an average university on the East Coast and despite graduating with my undergrad in psych and masters in forensic psychology all within 4 years with a 3.9 GPA I still was blindsided by the acceptance. It took my family by surprise too, they always have supported my dreams but I could tell they were not expecting my acceptance either. They were probably also not expecting me to pack up and move to England so quickly but hey, they always said chase your dreams.

But yeah so here I am, first day in London in a taxi with two obnoxiously large suitcases and a few in the trunk, my own fault for owning so many clothes. I have shipped the rest of my personal belongings ahead of time so I'll definitely have to figure out where in the world the post office is but that's a problem for later. My problem now is figuring out why my taxi is stopping way too early on the street.

"Hey sorry but I think you're at the wrong spot, the address is 286 Baker Str-" I start as I'm cut off by my passenger side door opening. Some tall lanky curly head pops in my door abruptly

"Hello sorry I need this taxi," he says dryly then pulls out his phone to type. I'm confused mostly because I'm from New Jersey and we are known for being rude but this is a little much.

"Excuse me?" I say not letting my Jersey show just yet to avoid being the bitch in a misunderstanding.

"I need this taxi so get-" he starts while looking up from his phone seeing my luggage and then me.

"Oh uh uhm Hi I'm sorry I hope I wasn't rude, my name's Sherlock Holmes" he stutters and shuffles awkwardly as we're barely pulled over on the side of the road. Ohh, now see I'm no expert but I think, again no genius here, but I have a feeling he thinks I'm cute. I see the slight blushing in his originally pale cheeks, which are some very nice cheekbones might I add.

"It's fine! I'm Jessie. Uhm do you want to squeeze in maybe? I can just move these around" I said as I'm pushing my bags around hoping to create enough space for cute cheekbone guy.

"Yes thank you" he stabilizes his voice a bit more "American I hear. New york? no...New Jersey?" he questions while squeezing in the car next to me. He seems to have lost his urgency that he had before.

"Yes New Jersey, are the inflections that obvious?" I laugh knowing damn well they are. I'm not a jersey shore star but I grew up with ex-New Yorker parents so it shines through.

"A bit," he says with a small smile, "I'm Sherlock Holmes by the way" he repeats himself

Before I can reply the driver cuts me off to figure out where he's going first.

"Whichever is closer, I'm going to 286 Baker street" I reply to his question as Sherlock's head perks up.

"St. Barts hospital," he says before turning to me, ignoring the buzz on his phone, "Yours is closer, are you moving in?"

I nod, "Yes Sherlock, today is actually my first day in England. What a coincidence to be meeting you. You live at 221 Baker?" I said, referring to the apartment we stopped at earlier.

"Coincidence? The universe is rarely so lazy. And yes 221B Baker street" He says with a grin. Is that flirting...I can't particularly tell if that was him bringing up his own random philosophy or flirting. I'll roll with it as flirting though.

"So does that mean you'll be around the corner if I want to see you again?" I reply with a smile, batting my eyes hoping Mr.Observer will pick up my hints.

He doesn't reply at first, and my heart is panicking, great I made things awkward with literally the first person I spoke to in London. Well, the taxi driver was first, so the second person in London.

"Yes, please do Jessie," Sherlock says after clearing his throat, again ignoring his buzzing phone. I can tell he's not used to being awkward. Well, he better get used to it because I consider myself a frequent flyer in the awkward realm.

"Well this is me," I say smiling still trying to figure out his response while we are pulling up to my apartment.

"Let me help you with your luggage." He says following me out of the taxi. I nod and open the trunk revealing even more bags.

"This is only my clothes and school supplies" I laugh at myself and Sherlock joins in with a small chuckle.

"School supplies?" He says trying to figure out what type of school I'm referring to.

"I'm starting my Ph.D. at Oxford in the fall," I say making no attempt to hide my pride.

"Oh very good." He says meeting me at the steps of the apartment and handing me a bag from the trunk.

I smile and tilt my head "So, off to St.Barts you go?"

"What? Oh-yes oh my" His eye widened as he realizes he completely forgot his reasoning for invading my taxi.

"John! Damn" he looks down at his phone, I assume seeing multiple text messages from whoever John is since his phone has buzzed several times while we were talking.

"Off to the races you go!" I shout playfully as he's running back to the taxi.

He turns back as he's about to get in the taxi, "I'll cover your fair, goodbye Jessie. See you again" he smiles and half-waves so adorably.

"Bye Sherlock!" I wave back at the confusing yet captivating man.