Crests and Horns

Kaiparowits Formation

76 million years ago

Late Cretaceous

The sun begins to slowly rise over the floodplain, bathing it in its warmth. Rivers and lakes crisscross through the dense forest, until they reach the shore of the Western Interior Seaway. Creatures of all shapes and sizes begin to wake up to the sight of this beautiful day, it's a true paradise, or so it seems.

Suddenly the peace and serenity of the morning is shattered by a deafening bellow.

Two creatures are crashing through the forest, a predator and its prey. The herbivore's calls echo through the woods, the message behind it clear, "DANGER!"

The hunted animal erupts through the foliage and into a clearing, this is Siren, a fully grown female Parasaurolophus cyrtocristatus.

Her species may be the smallest of the Parasauroluphuses, but standing at around 7 to 8 meters from head to tail, she's still no light weight

Siren stops for a second and turns her head back towards the forest, hoping that she was able to outrun her pursuer. Her eyes bounce around the area, looking for any signs of danger.

Suddenly, charging out of the trees, her attacker appears, a 6 meter long juvenile Teratophoneus curriei.

Siren turns around as she gets ready to run, but finds herself surrounded by two fully grown Teratophoneuses

Siren turns around as she gets ready to run, but finds herself surrounded by two fully grown Teratophoneuses. One of the 8 meter long adults lunges towards her, its mouth wide open. In response, Siren rears up on her hind legs and begins swinging her front legs at the attacker, causing it to stop and take a few steps back.

However she doesn't notice the juvenile running up to her, and the Teratophoneus bites down on her tail. Siren roars in pain as she trys to shake off the young predator. She falls back on all four legs before delivering a powerful kick to the youngster's head, forcing it to let go. One of the other Tyrannosauridaes tries to grab her body, but Siren swats its head away with her 3-meter-long tail.