The Caves of Dropping Giants

Naracoorte Caves

60,000 years ago

Late Pleistocene

Under the moon's watchful gaze, animals run and fly through the dark swampy forest. A barn owl silently glides through the woods, stalking its prey. Then, like a shadow, it clamps its talons around the wing of a bent winged bat. The bird lands onto a nearby branch and begins to feed on the unlucky mammal. This drama goes unnoticed by all of the forest's giants, or almost all.

A tree's branches begin to shake, startling the barn owl. Suddenly, a
large round face pierces the darkness. Shocked, the owl flies away from this monstrous apparition.

Surprised by the flurry of movement, Long-jump, a fully grown female Procoptodon goliah backs away.

Standing at a whopping 2 meters tall, Procoptodon goliahs aren't just the world's second largest species of kangaroo, but they are also one of the most abundant

Standing at a whopping 2 meters tall, Procoptodon goliahs aren't just the world's second largest species of kangaroo, but they are also one of the most abundant. Able to survive in a wide variety of environments, all they really need is enough food and water to be able to live in the area.

As Long-jump regains her composure, she feels a small kick in her pouch. Poking her head out of hiding, Little-hop looks up at her massive mother.

At 5 months old, Little-hop is still too young to go out of her mom's pouch, this means that she is completely reliant on Long-jump to take care of her.

Suddenly, a demonic scream shatters the peace and tranquility of the night.

(Warning! Do NOT have your volume at max when listening! Seriously, these things are loud!)

Frightened, Little-hop hides back into Long-jump's pouch, but her mother knows that tasmanian devils pose no threat to living animals.

As the sun begins to appear in the distance, many of the nocturnal animals slink back into their cave homes, but for others, this isn't a sign that it's time for bed, at least not yet.

Long-jump starts heading back towards the other Procoptodons for protection. Most apex predators on the other continents are warm blooded, this lets them use the cover of night to sneak up on their sleeping prey, but here in Australia, reptiles rule the land.

Because most of their predators are reliant on the sun's heat to warm them up, many of the prey animals have switched to a nocturnal or crepuscular lifestyle which lets them avoid their reptilian enemies.

However, this strategy only works for so long. Eventually, the animals will have to risk approaching a watering hole for a drink to prevent dehydration, and that's when the reptiles will strike.