Phantoms of the Northern Lights

Prince Creek

70 million years ago

Late Cretaceous

Snow gently falls down from the sky and settles on the ground. It's winter in Prince Creek, and because of this it means that the sun won't rise for the next 4 months.

But in this seemingly desolate and frozen land a sign of life runs in between the thick trunks of the conifers. A large pair of green eyes scans the white landscape for any signs of food.

A shadowy figure runs to the edge of the forest and the moonlight reveals it to be a 4 meter long Troodontinae. This is Sickle, an adult male northern Troodontid.

Sickle is twice as large as his southern relatives who only grow to 2 meters in length

Sickle is twice as large as his southern relatives who only grow to 2 meters in length. This means that both he and the other northern Troodontids can hunt larger animals, but this larger body also means that it must consume more food than the smaller southern Troodontinae.

His huge forward facing eyes allow him to make out and pinpoint his targets within his environment, even during the long and dark winter nights. This gives him an advantage over the other creatures that are weathering out these months of complete darkness. With no signs of food in the area for the moment Sickle heads back into the forest.

During the summer months, these polar woodlands and wetlands are green and teeming with life, but now the migratory creatures such as the multiple species of Hadrosaurs and Pachyrhinosaurus perotorum have traveled down south to find food.

Suddenly, Sickle hears the sound of heavy footsteps heading toward him. Quickly he hides behind a cluster of rocks. As he takes a look from his hiding place, a mid-sized Alaskan Therizinosaur emerges from the forest.

This dinosaur is too slow to travel with the other migratory animals, but its thick coat of feathers allows it to withstand the cold winters with temperatures reaching anywhere from 2 degrees to negative 10 degrees Celsius

In summer, the Alaskan Therizinosaur would primarily feed on plant life and insects, but now with its primary food source gone, it feeds on the carcasses of other animals. Just like the modern-day Arctic Fox, the Alaskan Therizinosaur replaces its old set of brown feathers with a new white coat so it can continue to blend in with the environment.