Chapter 2: The surprised reaction

As I walk in the forest, I notice three things:

Haven't talked to Lace since the incident.

People have been texting me about where am I

And my hand hurts from punching Chris.

I stop and think about how Lace is gonna now be since I punched her boyfriend.

Will she talk to me?

Will she ignore it, and just pretend nothing happened?

What WILL happen?

I guess it's just me to find out.

It's been about 24 minutes since the incident, about to be 25 minutes.

Suddenly, my phone starts buzzing. I thought it was gonna be my friend Vick for the 30th time, but instead it's Lace, and now I was questioning if I should just decline or answer, but randomly without thinking I pressed the answer button.

"Eric?..Eric, please talk to me...Eric?"

"Hey." I said.

"Eric where are you? I've been trying to find you, and none of your friends know where you are, and I've been worried sick."

I didn't intend to make her worried, nor my friends, but at times like these, sometimes you just want to be by yourself with your own thoughts, no one else's. But maybe it was the time to let someone in my thoughts. And maybe tell her how I feel.

I sent her the directions to the place I'm at, and then sat near the river, waiting for her arrival. Looking at the river, I feel calm in a way like all that I felt earlier was just a dream, and now I'm here.

When she finally comes, I'm listening to my music, and didn't notice that she was there until she tapped my shoulder.

"Hey," she said quietly.

I nodded at her, and she then sat next to me, doing the same with looking at the body of water.

There was at least ten minutes of silence before she spoke.

"Why did you punch him, Eric?"

I took a deep breath before answering her question. "I...I did for a reason I can't say."

"Why won't you tell me? Do you just not trust me, Eric?" Lace says hoarsely.

When I look at her, she's tearing up, and then I see that tear drop down, I just cradle her face and say this, these four words:

"I love you, Lace."

And I then kissed her lips.

I damn near thought this was a dream, I thought this was all a thought in my damn head.

But no, this was reality.

It didn't seem like she held back. She kinda...leaned in as well.

Fuck. She's dating someone. What the hell am I doing?

I then disconnect the kiss, just looking at her.

"Lace..."

It looked like Lace didn't care at all. She just looked at me and smiled a little..

"It...was nice." Lace said quietly.

I suddenly got up, because I, for the first time, was nervous.

"Lacey, what if Chris finds out? I'm gonna get my ass kicked!!" I yelled out loud.

I looked behind me, and Lace was just looking at me with confusion all written over her face.

She then got up slowly, walked towards me, and pulled me in for a kiss.

Damn, the girl got lips I can kiss all day.

She then pulled away, and smiled, those beautiful smiles.

She takes a huge toll on me.

"Eric, let's just keep what we just did a secret, ok? No one needs or has to know what happened. Just the both of us do."

I was actually gonna say yes, but then I realized something.

"Lace, you..."

I thought she would not say anything, but she said this:

"Eric, from the time I first met you, to now, I've always loved and cared for you. Sure, Chris is a nice guy, but I always wanted you."

I stood there stunned. What I was hearing is that she loved, not liked, but loved me. And for years, she has felt this way.

But, why didn't she tell me? Why did it take her to the point when she had a boyfriend?

I was so damn confused.

But I was happy?