Chapter 14

He stumbled onto the balcony once again, this time on a mission from HQ. It had been decided for him that he was to sacrifice everything in order to return Marinette to her parents. Maybe not everything, but he couldn't deny that he'd lost her on his watch. He would have to deal with Ladybug another time. 

The park gates loomed over him, taller than they had ever been before. Reluctantly, he opened them and the creak they made was enough to send shivers down his spine. "Here we go."

He was greeted by dark grey bushes made of wool and yarns. He turned to go around them but was blocked by more large woven monuments. It was as if the maze was impossible to figure out. A seemingly pre-recorded voice played from hidden speakers.

"Hello, Chat Noir." It spat. "It would appear that you've finally realized that your 'princess' is missing." The voice, obviously Felix's, softly laughed. "It would also appear that you're naïve enough to think that I would hide her here."

Chat closed his eyes, listening for the slightest breath coming from inside the castle. Both cat-themed super-beings had heightened senses of hearing, which probably meant that he was threatening her, making her quiet so that he couldn't know if he were telling the truth.

"Yeah, well no matter how hard you try, you won't get to her. She's complying to my every word, and honestly, so should you." The microphone glitched, but Marinette's voice quietly broke through. "That's true too, Kitten." Chaton Triste cleared his throat and prepared for the next announcement. "This is a one player game, Chat. Ladybug is unable to help you, and even if she could... Nah, the situation wouldn't play out this way if Ladybug were able to help you."

Chat rolled his eyes for possibly the hundredth time that day. Ladybug was really started to be unreliable and he didn't know if he could still count on her to be a reliable hero. His love on the other hand was still strong.

"For every time that you break a rule or fail to complete your assignment, I will tighten the restraints Marinette has. I'm sure curious to know what happens when thick yarn tightens and rubs against the skin. I know!" The villain feigned curiosity and interest. "It burns." He said, his voice flat.

Chat didn't believe what he was hearing until Marinette started to whimper in the background. She begged for Chaton Triste to stop whatever he was doing and then cried out in pain.

"Well then. If you're her knight in shining armor, or should I say leather, you better hurry up before her wrists burn off."

.  .  .

  I pinched her cheek slightly so that she would hiss in pain. 

"Stop!" She slapped my hand away before I could do anything else. "He got the point already and your not even broadcasting anymore."

I sighed and backed away. "Fine, Kitten, but you should be thankful that I love you too much to ever put a mark on your body." I smiled in her direction but she just stomped back to her room. "Thank you for being so well behaved. I really do like you." 

She turned around and shook her head. "If you liked me I wouldn't be locked up like this."

"I don't think you understand." I sighed, arranging a chair for each of us. "I've looked to my uncle as my model adult. Do you have any idea how twisted he is?"

"Yeah, twisted enough to... Lock his own son away..." She fidgeted awkwardly in her seat.

"Are you uncomfortable? Would you like some pillows or maybe something to drink?" I bolted to my feet and was about to walk out the door to fetch some tea or water when Marinette tapped me on the shoulder.

"Can we actually talk more?" She seemed to have trouble asking me this since she avoided eye contact.

"If that is what you wish." I tapped the floor with my staff and a blanket formed. It was fluffy and thickly knitted, perfect for snuggling into. I draped it over my kitten and walked back to my respective seat. "Is there something you wish to talk about?"

"Is this how you really show your affection? Kidnapping and hiding me away?"

"It would seem my feline traits are stronger than I thought they would be, 'cause to be honest, I can't seem to justify you being held here against your will."

She leaned into her chair, confused. "Then, let me go?"

"It's not that simple." I began. "This feeling inside me, I... I can't tell what I'd do if I saw anyone get near you let alone touch you." I scratched my head, trying to find a way to explain. "And I really don't want to hurt you even more than I already have."

"So you acknowledge that you are in the wrong?"

"I acknowledge that my cousin is an idiot and can't distinguish the difference between his feelings of friendship and romance." I combated her question. "I did nothing wrong in the sense that I was only trying to help you, but I realized it too late that I couldn't let you go." I twirled my cane in the air. "So when you were visibly angry with me, and I had failed you for the second time, I..."

She stayed quiet for a few moments. I watched her try to place pieces together in her mind as to how everything ended up as it did. "So, you like me?"

"Yes."

"And that's why you kidnapped me?"

Ashamed, I felt the ears sticking out of my hat droop. "Yes."

"Why?"

"Why, what?" 

"Why do you like me, Felix?"