Welcome to the Business

Beverly Hills, 1985

Mike is riding in the car with Jeff Dyson talking to him about the future of New Edition. He then explains to Jeff that he has nothing back up, New Edition is him. Jeff then tells him that he should learn about the business as a back up until Mike then learns about what Gary has been doing behind their back. Mike is seen storming into Jheryl Busby's office asking him what is Fast Break Productions.

Mike - " What the hell is fast break?!"

Jheryl Busby - "Mike, what the hell are you doing. Give us a second man."

Mike - "What the hell is fast break man, I wanna know."

Jheryl Busby - " Aye man, who the hell you think you talking to. You don't run up in my office talking shit like you run it, you little bastard. I got it. Everybody take a lunch, Now!"

Mike - "I came here for you to tell me the truth."

Jheryl Busby- " You want the truth? The truth is, Fast Break Productions is another name for Gary Evans. That's who the hell Fast Break Productions is, that's who New Edition is signed to. Not MCA Records."

Mike - "What do you mean we ain't signed to MCA?"

Jheryl & Mike continues talking.....

Before Mike leaves, Jheryl mentions to him, " Mr. Michael Bivins, welcome to the music business." The scenes fades to the boys backstage getting ready to perform.

Ronnie - " So what we do about all this?"

Mike- "What we do? we fight back. we refuse to do any promotion. No videos, no shows, no concerts, no interviews. no nothing. We gonna take his money."

Ronnie- "I don't know about all that Mike."

Mike- "About what Ron?"

Ricky- "If we keep doing this, we're not only attacking his money but we're messing up our pockets. How we supposed to get paid."

Ronnie-" I need my checks so we can move. I'm tryna buy a house."

Mike- "Ya'll not seein —"

Ricky- " I just moved my mom out the projects man. Money can't stop"

Mike- "Are y'all listening to me. Are y'all not getting the picture? If we get rid of Gary, we can negotiate our own deal with MCA and really get to this paper. cause right now, this money we making..is just an allowance."