Part 2 Chapter Five

1793

THIRD PERSON POV

                  Before we can get on with the story of Philip and Theo remember that when we left them they were seven and eight years old promising to be best friends for ever. They did stay best friends for much longer than anyone but their mothers ever thought they would. TheY went to concerts and to the shops downtown. Theo went with Philip to his grandfathers home in upstate New York and Philip went with Theo to her family's vacation home in the mountains. They had great times together but also sad ones. Theo was the first person Philip told when his baby sister was stillborn two months after they met. Angie didn't speak for a week afterwards.

               Phillip was also the first person Theo told when her mother died. They had all been expecting it, but Theo still broke down when her mother called Theo to her bedside and told her how much she loved her. 

              "Listen to me Theo, I want you to take care of the house and your father. Since I won't be here to teach you everything I know about having a husband and home, Talk to Fannie I know that dear woman will help you. Now you must remember one thing. When I am gone look under my bed and take out my best trunk. Put it under yours and go to father so you can comfort each other. On the day of my funeral open this trunk, I hope it will make you smile. I love you Theo, More then you will ever know".

                Then her mother had laid back closed her eyes and both husband and daughter had been with her when she died fifteen minutes later. The week after her mothers death was hard Her father spent nearly all of his time working on funeral plans so The only person Theo had to confide in was Philip.

                True to her word on the day after the funeral she found herself on her bed still wearing her fancy black satin dress she changed into a plain dark blue dress and let her long brown hair fall loose down her back. She lifted the heavy trunk onto her bed, took a deep breath and opened the lid.