Chapter Twelve

They play was a success; other then one or two minor tantrums and the star of Bethlehem almost falling on the angel everyone loved it. Afterward though Philips mother took the eight adults ad Catherine and Philip sat at the large dinning room table. Elizabeth's baby brother and Mrs Spencer's newest baby daughter had to sit on their mothers laps. So they could be nursed but every one else was sent to the kitchen to eat

         Theo didn't envy Philip who had to sit with all eight shepherds and sheep, the shepherds had thrown temper tantrums because their staffs had been taken away for trying to catch the cat. The girls table was much quieter and Theo, the twins, Elizabeth  and Angie, Fanny, Lily and the two older Spencer girls talked and talked.

         After that the two smaller children were laid on Mrs Hamilton's bed so they could sleep away from all the noise. While everyone else went t the living room where Mrs Hamilton brought out fudge and coffee and cocoa. The adults talked of politics or babies or other boring topics. The kids however played charades and jacks and any other games they could think of. After about half an hour Theo went to eat some popcorn and fudge on the piano bench in  a small corner. She didn't realize that she had been noticed by some off the ladies nearby. 

        "Who is that young lady by the piano?" someone asked.

         "That's Miss Theodosia Burr Mrs Hamilton replied. "She is good friends with my Philip she can speak french and play piano very nicely

 "Well "said Mrs Spencer "some piano music would be lovely don't you think, why don't your Philip and Miss Theo play something for us?

 Theo was already starting to worry, but she forced herself to stay calm she had played with Phillip a few times but she always go nervous when she had to play for others. Now Mrs Spencer and Mrs Brookes wanted to hear them play so Theo had no choice but to go and sit up at the piano with Philip beside her 

"What should we play" he whispered  Theo couldn't think of that now so Philip said the first song he could think of

"Can you play, Come all ye faithful"? 

"Yes "

but when Theo tried to play the first few notes her courage failed so Philip told her play the cords

 "I'll play the rest" Theo managed to play the cords but her cheeks felt as crimson as her dress she had made Philip play the hard part of the song. She knew how he didn't really like piano that much anyway

        Thankfully the song was soon over the adults went back to there talk with many compliments on Theo's piano skills. Philip went back to the other boys and was soon joking and laughing with them again but,Theo couldn't for just as she was finishing her cocoa she heard Mrs Spencer talking with Mrs Hamilton again.

        "Shes a fine girl Eliza, pretty, talented, from a respectable family, and she looks intelligent enough she clearly likes your Philip by the look on her face when they played together. I wouldn't factor her out of your plans my dear".

Theo didn't want hear anymore of this conversation and was thankfully spared by Mrs Brookes baby crying  at that moment, so the conversation shifted. When Mrs Brookes came back kissing her daughters plump cheek she called to her husband. 

"Paul dear? I think we had better get the girls home soon, its almost nine. Daisy should get to bed and Violet will be asleep soon".

"Of course my dear "he said "i'll bring the horses around"

 Theo slipped over to her friends wanting to tell them of the conversation she had over heard.

"Ohh Thea" she said "how can I ever be friends with Philip now: thinking Mrs Hamilton has plans for us? besides Philip will hate me now for putting his playing on the spot".

"What do you mean" asked Thea "you played the carol"

"No Theao" said "I was to scared Philip played it a I did the chords".

"Oh Theo you and your nervousness" said Sarah "I tell you I'd have given that old Mrs Spencer a piece of my mind if shed talked about my mother making "plans"with Thea's mother or something silly like that".

"Sarah Ann" said Emily "you stop that, Mrs Spencer is old and should be treated with respect, you should talk to Catherine Theo. I guess Mrs Spencer's  ideas are a little"... 

        But Emily never got to finish her sentence for at that moment Mr Brookes opened the fount door to an world of whirling white. The snow had to be as high as Theos waist there would be no riding home with her father tonight. The snowing in cause the guests to go a little mad when it  became clear that they all were to stay here the night. Mrs Hamilton brought plenty of covers to the Millers and Jameson's who were sleeping in the small attic, with a partition made of a few folding screens to make two rooms. The only two guest rooms were given to the elderly Brooke's an the young Spencer's, who had to be close to their youngest's daughter. Philips mother brought two old cradles that her children had used for the babies to sleep in, the four sheep shared John and James's room and the four shepherds shared Alex and Philip's room. The older Spencer girls, Violet and Rose shared Fanny and Angie's room with Thea's sister Lily and Fanny to watch them .

        Only the older children had no where to go. Phil and Philip slept on the parlor sofas by Eliza's sitting room fire. The six older girls spread the last blankets and bedding they could find to make one large bed on the floor. Catherine and the girls talked for awhile. Cathy assured Theo that Philip's mother almost certainly did not have plans for anyone.  So the drifted of her first time sleeping over with anyone very happy indeed.