The Pre-Encounter

It's the penultimate month of 2019 and it has been almost a year since I broke up with my ex. I am definitely feeling better. I kept myself occupied at work the past months. I needed distraction... and it worked! I don't think about him anymore. NO... I actually don't care anymore. I'm now fine. I'm sure.

It's Sunday past-midnight and boredom is eating me up so I pick up my phone and open Grindr. Surprisingly, a lot are still online... just as I like.

I scroll through the 'available options' and decide to shoot 'yo' messages to a few. Not even a minute passed and my notification rings now non-stop from replies. I call this the audition phase—one eventually becomes a victor, and I am the prize.

It's the wee hours. Out of all the profiles I messaged minutes ago, one candidate clearly stands out just because he responds to my messages swiftly. Berlin is his profile name, and his profile photo is that of Pedro Alonso, the actor who played the same namesake in one of my most favorite Netflix shows: Money Heist.

"So you're game now?" I type, responding to his latest message saying that he's also bored.

I'm smirking while reading his response. "You mean casual sex?"  I am liking his straightforward nature.

"I don't wanna sound rude but I'm in if we are each other's type." I send.

"Fair enough."

"So... shall we meet?" I ask. His profile says he is a good catch and that he doesn't share photos via this app. Well... I am taking the risk.

"Sure! I'm here," a pinned map accompanies his reply.

Nice! Says my mind. His location isn't too far from where I live.

"See you in a bit, then." I don't know why I'm giddy. Maybe because it's been a while since I've hooked up with someone. I haven't really used this app even after I broke up with my ex. He was my last sex.

*****

I am already waiting at the rendezvous for a good ten minutes. I am checking my phone from time to time to see if a new message arrives but nada.

He's been offline since I arrived here. The nearby streets are empty; the lights are off in most of the surrounding establishments.

I motion towards the empty bench about five meters from where I stand. I grab my phone from one of my pockets before sitting down. It's almost two in the morning. I sigh.

I hope he turns up. I whisper to myself.

As I am checking my playlist on Spotify to look for songs to play while waiting, my phone buzzes—thankfully, it's him.

"Almost there, sorry." His message says.

I pause for a moment to think of what to reply other than the trite 'okay', but I can't think clearly. Excited? I'm not sure. More like anxious because he might not like me and I end up becoming the loser of this 'hook up' game.

As I shiver at the cold Amihan breeze that blows, I notice a shadow slowly approaching towards my direction. I cautiously watch, squinting, as a hooded figure nears me by the second.

I hope he's not a robber. I pray.

The hooded figure stops a meter in front of me.

"Excuse me... LeoTripper?" He asks prudently.

Almost stuttering, I answer, "Y--yes!" I stand up and ask him back. "Berlin?"

He takes his hood off his head. With the amount of light available in the area, I see YOU wear a sweet smile. Darn, you are such a beauty!

"Yup, it's me," says you as you take a step closer and extend your right hand.

I immediately catch your hanging hand to make a handshake.

With all anxiety gone, I cheerily say, "Nice to finally meet you!"

"Likewise." You answer, locking eyes with mine.

We let go of each other's hand as we let silence rule over us for a moment. I can't believe how good-looking you are! I am glad I took the risk.

"So... what now?" You ask, smiling.

I smile back. "Up to you."