The Same Bench In That Park

9:45 pm.

There's too much happiness thriving in my nerves as I enter the park... the same park where we first met. Earlier today you called me to ask if we can meet here at 10:00 pm so we can talk. It was a very short call but you sounded the normal you and that made me very happy. I thought that maybe you missed me too or that you want to end whatever this game is already. Whatever your reason is for being incommunicado for two weeks, I'll be all ears. It was my fault anyway. I acted like a dork.

There are still a few people in the park; there are lovers doing a night stroll, an old man walking his two dogs, a couple engaged in a serious talk in one bench and there's one small group sitting on the grass as they laugh loudly. As I continue walking, a gay couple pass by me and I can't help myself but smile at them, they both smile back. We'll get there. We'll even be sweeter than them. I smile as I think about our future together.

As soon as I can see 'our' bench at a distance, I just stop and stand still... very, very still. As if the time has paused, like a speck of eternity. I smile to myself. This is part of our territory... of our love story... of US.

I start walking again, my smile has no signs of ceasing. As I reach the bench, I touch it, feel every corner of it, like how I caress you.

"Hi, there." I murmur, smiling to the bench as if it's a living thing. Slowly, I sit on it. "He's on his way, let's wait for him, okay?" I talk to it again like crazy. Well... love makes us do crazy things.

My phone rings from inside my pocket—it's you.

"Hello, Harv?"

"You there?" You ask from the other line.

"Yup, I'm waiting at the same spot."

"Okay, almost there. See ya!"

"Alright, see you!"

The call ends but my smile stays. I can't wait. I miss you so much.

The cold Amihan breeze seems excited, too, as it gives quite a strong blow that made the leaves of the surrounding trees fall. It's very romantic. Oh, just how nature is conspiring for us... for this night of love and reconciliation. I close my eyes, hug myself and listen to the whisper of the night breeze... I can sense it... tonight will be perfect.

"Hi!"

I open my eyes promptly at your greeting, I honestly don't know how long I was in a stupor. "H-hi!" I say in a shy yet very enthusiastic way. "You just arrived?" I add.

You nod and slowly walk towards me. My cells tremble inside, like it's the first I'm meeting you. You sit next to me, allowing a small gap between us two. We let silence hover over us for a moment. I can sense a bit of awkwardness... which, according to an article I read from a relationship psychologist, is quite normal especially after a fight where some couples have a deep-freeze phase during which no one talks until it somehow gradually defrosts; the latter, is what we are about to do now.

"How are you?" We both try to break the awkwardness in unison. We look at each other intently then we both laugh, like nothing happened.

We really think alike. I say to myself.

"You go first, then." You say smiling.

I point at myself, still smiling. "Me?" I pause as I think briefly. "Uhm... just work, you know... and the usual: eat, sleep and internet." I answer as I do open hand gestures along with it.

"Nice to hear." You say, nodding.

"How about you?" I inquire.

"Uneventful."