-chapter 4: lunch-

You usually ate lunch either with Yachi or a few classmates.

Sometimes, though, Yachi was busy with her managing duties and wasn't able to spend lunch with you. Not that you minded all that much- you liked being alone at times.

You had become somewhat close to a few students in your homeroom, although you couldn't say that they were really your friends...just people to pass time with. You usually ended up eating with them more than with Yachi.

You smiled, relieved, as the lunch bell rang one bright afternoon, signaling the beginning of lunchtime.

You jogged over to Yachi's classroom down the hall, poking your head in once you got there, scanning the room for the short blonde.

After a few seconds of looking, though, you realized she wasn't there.

"Oh! Sasha! Are you looking for Yachi?" You heard a familiar energetic voice appear from behind you. Turning around, you confirmed the fact that it was Hinata, as you had thought.

"Yeah," you replied, "I am... I was hoping we could spend lunch together."

"She had something to do with Kiyoko, about the team's schedule or something like that... Oh-! Right! Sorry, I wish I could spend lunch with you instead, but I almost forgot that I have something of my own to go do too...!"

"Oh! No problem, thanks though!" You smiled gratefully and sighed softly, heading back to your classroom. "See ya..."

...It's ok! You said to yourself, lifting up your head. I can always eat lunch with some kids from my class.

You looked around and stood at the doorway of your homeroom.

...OK! You trudged outside, alone. They weren't there either, but whatever. Not the end of the world.

You scanned the area, looking for a decent place to sit. You settled on a wooden bench, opening your lunchbox as you sat down. You glanced down at your lunch, satisfied with the choice. You were about to start eating, when suddenly, you felt a presence appear behind you.

"..Oh, you're the one i woke up after volleyball practice the other day!"

You tilted your head upwards and nearly fell off the bench when you met eyes with Kageyama, who was standing less than a few feet away.

"A-Ah! Hey, Kageyama..!"

"Hey. Mind if I join you?"

"O-Oh! Hey, Kageyama..! Uh, sure, of course I don't mind. I was hoping for some company, actually."

He nodded, sliding into the open space beside you. You weren't exactly sure what to do, but acting normal seemed like the best choice.

"Did H-Hinata send you or something?"

Kageyama looked over at you, opening his own lunch. "Kinda. He was saying something about you not having anyone to eat lunch with, so he told me that I should eat with you. That moron...we've barely ever even talked, so I don't know why he thought this was a good idea..." Kageyama's face then became slightly red as he began standing up. "S-Sorry, I can leave if you wan-"

"Um!" You instinctively grabbed the very end of his shirt, hoping that he wouldn't leave just yet. "I...I don't mind you staying. At all. If you're cool with it, that is."

Kageyama looked surprised for a moment before sitting back down. "Alright. Yeah, it's a nice change from eating with the feral child for once, at least."

After a few minutes of eating in comfortable silence, Kageyama suddenly asked: "Do you always eat lunch alone?"

"Oh, um.." You started, surprised by the question. "N-No, not all the time. Sometimes I eat with Yachi, or some kids from my class."

"Ah," He replied, "Ok. I just don't really see you with them at lunch that often.."

You were a bit surprised at how observative he could be. "Well, if I had to say how often I spent lunch with someone else, I'd say...40% of the time. And the other 60% would be how often I spend lunch alone..which I don't mind all that much, sometimes."

He looked off into the distance for a moment, seeming to think about your answer.

"...You could always eat with us, if you wanted. The team, I mean."

You turned your head to look directly at Kageyama, not believing what you were hearing. "You mean...I...can eat lunch with..?!"

"Only if you want, of course!" Kageyama interjected. "God, I made it sound like I'm forcing you or something..."

You laughed, waving your hands dismissively. "No, no! I was just surprised, that's all. You sure I wouldn't be in the way or anything?"

"Of course not." He made a face as if that were the dumbest question he had heard all day. "People being there during practice is a different story, but the team eats together sometimes. They wouldn't mind one more person."

"Wow..." You shook your head. "I can't wait! It'll be nice eating with a big group! I think..."

This time, Kageyama was the one chuckling. "Don't worry. We have a couple of weirdos, but you'll just have to get used to them. If they ever annoy you, just come to me and I can knock some sense into them. They're ok though, I promise. Most of the time anyway..."

"Ha! Alright, I will."

The two of you began to finish up your lunches, cleaning up the area as well. Your lunch with Kageyama was the best lunch you've had for a while, no doubt about it. He was way more laid back than some people made him out to be, and your conversation with him was nice and easy-going. And most of all, you couldn't wait to eat lunch with the volleyball team!

A few minutes before the post-lunch bell rang, you both were sitting on the bench, each of you lost in your own thoughts, until...

"H-Hey. I..I know we haven't known each other for long, but I have something to tell you."

<✰✰✰>

sacchaan