Chapter 2 | The First Victim

Makoto P.O.V.

As soon as I saw the body, I froze. Time seemed to stop, and my vision began to blur. Before I knew it, everything went black.

I must have lost consiousness...

Sayaka P.O.V.

All I was going to do was take a shower. But when I opened my bathroom door... I saw him.

Yasuhiro.

Lying there.

Dead.

Makoto must have come to check up on me, while I was just frozen with fear.

The only look on his face was shock. Before he passed out, and fell onto the floor. I was in the bathroom at the time, right in front of the corpse. I had to tell everyone, but I couldn't leave Makoto just lying there.

I decided to try to bring him over to my bed first. I must not have been paying very good attention, because I slipped on something. Luckily, my arms broke my fall. Unluckly, I had slipped in blood, and it was now all over me.

Great. Everything is great. Yasuhiro is dead, Makoto is unconsious, and I'm covered in blood. I tried to just shake it off, and wrapped Makoto's arm around me. I didn't realize that my door had been left open.

Kiyotaka and Mondo were passing by, seemingly arguing about something. Crap. I had fallen into this killer's trap. I don't know how, but I did. I don't understand it.

Taka and Mondo immediately put two and two together, and all I could do was see confusion and dread take over their expressions before they both ran in as fast as they could.

Mondo: "STOP RIGHT NOW!"

Sayaka: "N-no! It's not what it looks li-"

Kiyotaka: "Wait! Makoto is alive!"

It appears Taka had gone over to check his pulse.

Mondo: "Then where the hell did all this blood come from...?"

They both turned to me. I had no other choice than to tell them the truth. I mean, it would only make me seem more suspicious if I had lied.

Sayaka: "Look...in...the...bathroom..."

They stared at me for a second before turning around to see the actual corpse.

*Ding dong bing bong*

A fuzzy image appeared on the monitor in my room, before revealing Monkuma.

Monokuma (on monitor): "A body has been discovered! After a certain amount of time, which you may use however you like, the class trial will begin!"

Class trial? That means...

Mondo: "So...he really is dead..."

Kiyotaka looks me straight in the eye, quite visibly distressed.

Kiyotaka: "S-sayaka? How could you...? Why...?"

Sayaka: "N-no! I didn't do this! I-I swear!"

???: "Do you honestly think that we'll believe you that easily?"

I heard another voice, along with the footsteps of many other people.

I turn to see that the voice came from Byakuya. All my other classmates had entered the room, as well. Everyone is staring at me. Looks of shock and fear surround me. I give an overwhelmed expression, but Byakuya just laughed.

Byakuya: "You clearly didn't think this through did you? Such a fool..."

On the verge of tears, I glance across the room, and then I lay my eyes on him.

Makoto!

Surely he could help me.

I quickly dash over to him, but someone stands in my way before I could approach him.

Sakura: "I am sorry, but we can not trust you."

Sayaka: "Please! Just let me wake him up! I swear he can prove my innocence!"

She contemplates this for a second, before responding.

Sakura: "I will allow that."

Sakura moves over, still keeping a watchful eye on me.

I wasn't quite sure what to do, so I put my hands on his shoulders, and began to shake him awake. Eventually, I see his eyes open, and his body start to move again.

Makoto P.O.V.

I open my eyes, and it takes a second for my vision to clear. I see Sayaka, shaking me, with a very concerned expression on her face.

Sayaka: "Makoto! Thank god you're awake! Please tell them that we switched rooms last night!"

I notice everyone else staring at me, awaiting an answer. I have no other choice but to respond.

Makoto: "..."

                "..."

                "..."

"What are you talking about?"

                    "..."

Dead silence fills the room.