Caibidil Four

Immediately Edwyn was placed in a room. He was inside the room of the Cuinn house, a room unfamiliar to Edwyn as he had worked with the Cuinns previously in the past. Everyone else have quickly scuttled off back towards their homes, not daring to venture out. It was the afternoon evening. Edwyn peered out of the window and saw Jötuun, his back towards the wall as he was watching the sun.

The giant raven perched upon his head, resting. It would take a day or two to reach Diatalamh. And Tommorow night, he would be soaring through the sky to there to partake the race to be a human candle. Edwyn felt a rush of fear but there was no turning back. He didn't care anymore what he had done was stupid but he couldn't imagine seeing the defenseless infant being taking away from a widowed mother. It reminded him too much of him. Perhaps this was why he had chosen to be a pilgrim irrationally.

The door swung open and it made Edwyn jump. Out of the door came Creidimh, whose face was red as a prátaí. Her eyes looked sore and Edwyn realized she must've been crying. Edwyn came to comfort her but she immediately slapped him and began to yell.

"HOW COULD YOU BE SO STUPID TO THROW AWAY YOUR LIFE?!!? MISS ROISIN IS GETTING ON YEARS AND YOU VOLUNTEERED YOURSELF TO BE A PILGRIM?!?! WHY?!?!"

She then began to enter a breakdown as she bursted into tears yet again. Edwyn didn't flick upon her slap and her scream but he did winced at her tears. It had been a long time She had cried, ever since her mother became a feral hallow and was put down, thanks to a quick jab to the head with a spear. When she became guardian over Edwyn, she never cried again as he was the last of their father. Edwyn thought for the longest time she had forgot to cry.

She immediately began to yell again but Edwyn could understand her. "WHY DID YOU HAVE TO BE STUPID AND OFFERED YOUR LIFE FOR THEM?! I KNOW IT WAS JUST A CHILD BUT THERE COULD'VE BEEN MORE SUITABLE BOYS WHO COULD'VE TAKEN THE PILGRIMAGE TOO!!!"

Edwyn looked at her and pulled in for a hug. She embraced him and didn't let go until she calmed down. Edwyn saw that tears was still running down her face.

"Why?... Why did you offer yourself to be a potential Kindler? Why give up your life for her child, Edwyn?"

It was then at this moment spoke and told her the reasons why he decided to give his life.

"When I saw the child being chosen and Miss Roisin in tears, I saw me in that child. I couldn't imagine the fact that she would loose her only son as he wouldn't have the chance to live. I know we're living in the shame of being caged but he, the child, deserved a chance to experience life. I didn't care about the fact I had offered my own for their sake because I am the Ashamed son. No one would miss me besides you but I didn't care. It was better off for me to be the Pilgrim than her child, Creidimh. I know you might be at the center of ridicule for awhile by your own peers but I saw no other boys raise their hands. I just don't care anymore about my life."

Creidimh looked at him, broken. She looked like she had lost everything... Which she was about to. Without an another word, she ran out of the door in tears... This time, she was not the only one in tears.

÷÷÷

After what seemed like eternity, Crann Cuinn entered the room. His walking stick tapped lighty around the ground, searching for his chair. Edwyn watched quietly as the chief sat down and stood there in brief silence.

"You offered to be Ogledd's pilgrim, Young Edwyn?"

Edwyn looked in astonishment as Crann had recognized Edwyn immediately. He wasn't sure if he knew or not that he was in the room but Crann must've had some sort of power that could tell he was there.

Crann must've knew also about his astonishment as he smiled lightly upon him and spoke. "Never underestimate the old, Edwyn. This will be your first lesson if you wish to survive the Pilgrimage. Many had went to succeed the flame but lost the will to fight and died along the way. You are not the first among the clan to be a pilgrim but you are the first to be volunteered to be one. Despite your social status, you will be honored among the clan to take part in the sacred pilgrimage. You will have one last meal and gifted in a weapon and an armor set of your choosing, which brings me to a question... Edwyn, do you know how to use a weapon?"

This was an obvious no to Edwyn and he looked down in shame. Because he was a serf and the Ashamed son of a local-famous Gallowglass he had no experience in wielding an weapon nor any in the magics. He was mainly a servant among the clan and only worked with tools around a home; garden tools and kitchen apparel did not count among the weaponry of blacksmithing and archery.

"No sir. I have no experience in the field of warriors as I mainly worked among the prátaí fields. I'm sorry sir."

Crann stood quietly and cleared his throat. "Well then... That's unfortunate. You must have a weapon and a set of armor to be a pilgrim. There will be no doubt that the Undead ferals will be after your humanity so you must have some sort of protection. It seems to me that you will need a bodyguard. Before you leave we must find you a warrior, willing to travel with you. Not only should he or she would be protect you on your way to the fire but you could learn the way of the sword. We must find one immediately!"

Edwyn knew that the chosen pilgrims were allowed to be accompanied by others as long as it was a minimal of three, counting the Pilgrim as first. Edwyn himself didn't know if anyone would want to travel with him, considering his timid personality, frail body and his lowly status as a humble and sickly serf. He was lucky enough to earn enough money to buy a loincloth and a potato but he knew there was no chance he would have the best Gallowglass in all the land to be his bodyguard. A holy cleric wouldn't want to travel among a disgraced outcast. Edwyn knew he was no chance to be accompanied with nor become the Kindler.

Crann knew of Edwyn's crestfallen hope as he sighed sadly. "Alas there is one option you might have the chance to be traveled with... But you will need to travel to the Hallows slums..."

Edwyn immediately looked at him. "You would think a Hallow would be willing to travel with me?! I'll be sure as lucky to even get a blade from the blacksmith! I'm not just an umhonorabled child but a human Crann! Hallows don't like us as much we don't like them! What mak-"

Clack! The hard sound of Crann's walking stick being slammed upon Edwyn was enough to shush him. Edwyn realized he had spoke out of line and forgotten he was in the presence of the last elder. He mumbled an apologetic sound and lowered his head in shame.

Crann finally spoke again. "Young Edwyn, travel to the Hallows and seek a worthy Hallow to assist you on your travels. You have tonight to find him, return home and rest and Tommorow will be the grand feast, where you and your Hallow companion will be granted weapons and armor as parting gifts and a last meal to eat before you take off for Diatalamh. Lord Sol will be watching you... Good luck young Edwyn... And go!!!"