ii.

Elien

It's mama's birthday today. Elien's alarm blares through his room while it remains in absolute darkness. Curtains shut, lights out. 

His hand slowly drags itself out of the warm oven that is his bed and knocks the alarm clock off the bedside table. He blinks slowly, adjusting his eyes, while his curtains automatically open. 

From the floor, the alarm clock reads 7:45. Shit, he's late already, mama's probably already awake. He jumps out of bed, landing with a big thump. Wincing, he walks over to his bathroom. 

He gazes at his reflection, horrified. His dark circles, now more noticeable than ever stare back at him. His hair is a tousled mess. His clothes from the day before litter the floor, as he tries to pick out some that still smell... decent. He throws on a white crewneck with some black jeans and his favorite leather jacket, sprays on some cologne, and pulls on his sneakers. 

Flowers, cake, and a present for mama and Celia. he reminds himself.

After the successful sneak out, Elien walks outside his building, spotting his chauffer already waiting at the entrance.

"Bart, I thought I told you not to wear that horrifying suit when you drive me," Elien sarcastically tells the driver, which causes him to chuckle.

"I'm sorry sir, but the protocol says otherwise." Bart smiles and slaps him on the back. Elien slides into the car, grabbing a water while he gets comfortable. "Where will it be today?" the driver questions.

"Livia's Flowers, I'm sure you remember it, it's in Little Italy."

"So far?"

"It's necessary, plus it'll be a scenic ride," Elien raises his eyebrow while Bart slides into the driver's seat. He glances at him through the rearview mirror, "Now tell me, how are your two little girls?"

A chat flies by as the two arrive at the location. The shop just about opened but it has the best flowers in town and mama deserves it. There's still a couple of places to go to, and Elien needs a headstart if he's to get everything by the time mama wakes up. The car comes to a stop.

"Don't you leave me here, Bart!" Elien leaves the car with a laugh and Bart salutes.

The windchimes echo through the store as Elien steps in. It seems empty, but the door was unlocked. Elien looks around, surveying the array of flowers on display and the red roses splayed across the front desk.

Elien had found himself about one year ago on the doorstep of Livia's Flowers. He was wasted beyond belief and lonely. Signora Livia found him outside, sat in the dark, cold night, shivering with silent tears running down his face. She took him in, fed him, and let him stay the night without a single word. They had exchanged a few words in the morning but ever since then, there had been an unspoken understanding and reserved affection between them. He kept coming back, nonna's sons had moved out and her husband passed, so he was one of few keeping her company. They played cards, she taught him Italian, he taught her French and he'd always come back when he needed flowers.

Still no answer.

"Hello, signora Livia!" he calls thinking she's in the backroom, "Anyone here?"

He can hear rustling in the backroom so he moves toward the front desk. Out comes a girl, who is definitely not nonna. She freezes as she sees Elien. He's used to it, but he looks closer at her. And he recognizes her.

"Look who we have here." he chuckles as he steps even closer, "Aira Harrington."