iv.

Flashback - Junior Year 

Aira

She saw him walking down the hallway. He gave her a little salute as he approached.

"Hey, what class do you have next?" He asked as he leaned on the locker next to hers, face tilting to face her.

"Chem," She mumbled. Her mind was racing a million miles a minute and her heart was slowly shattering.

"Fantastic, me too, do you want to walk together? Maybe after we could go to Alfie's to get some coffee or something. We haven't hung out in a long time and I need to tell-"

"Yes," She interrupted and stopped grabbing her books from her locker. She looked at him and saw the vulnerability in his eyes. She couldn't keep his gaze. Not with what she was going to do. "That sounds great," she smiled trying to remember his face like this one last time, happy, "I missed you."

"...You did?" He looked at her a little quizzically, like she just revealed a little too much.

"Of course I did, now don't make me say it again," she said lightheartedly trying to ignore her sudden unguardedness. 

His slight smile slowly turned into an irresistible smirk.

"I'll never let you live that one down, Ai." He grinned and slammed her locker shut, already walking towards the chemistry classroom. Aira rolled her eyes and followed him.

... 

The warm air inside Alfie's warmed them as they both stepped in. 

It was winter in New York, colder than Aira had ever experienced and she was shivering. Elien noticed when they were walking and offered her his hand. She was hesitant at first, knowing how much this could change things, but still wanted to enjoy the last few moments she had with him. 

Elien walked up to the cashier and spoke, "Two hot mochas please, quickly," He looked back at her, his half-smile making her heartbeat just a little quicker. 

They both sat down with their drinks and Elien began to speak, "Chem was terrible today, I probably should've taken physics instead but that involves math... probably even worse." He chuckled and continued on. Aira didn't know... or want to actually, to stop him so she just enjoyed his voice. It always calmed her even if he didn't know it.

"But enough about that, I feel like I've been avoiding this for a while, well because I didn't want to ruin our friendship, but I need to tell you that I-"

"Elien," She stopped him and he looked at her from his drink. It had taken them years to get close, both of them still somewhat guarded, and now that they've reached that point it hurt her to do this. 

Their parents had always been rivals, Aira felt stupid for thinking this friendship could last in the long run. She recalled the conversation she had with her parents earlier in the morning. "Cut him off, we cannot afford to look bad," Mum's words reverberated in her head. She lifted her eyes back to his face, the joy on his face was momentary before his face fell. He knew what was coming. "We can't be friends anymore." 

As she waited for his response, her mind wandered to all of their favorite moments. The laughs, the cries, and how free she felt around him. Free from the burden of her parents and her future. How his green eyes pierced her gaze every time she was talking to him, how much attention they gave her. The longing in them that she could sure feel too. The thought of what if? But "what if" wasn't an option. She snapped back to reality.

He stared at her, frozen, "I... what do you mean?"

Tears threatened to prick her eyes but she could not be weak. "I don't want to have anything to do with you anymore, Elien." She said defiantly and saw the walls beginning to rebuild behind his eyes.

"Did I do something wrong or... is this because of our parents?" Aira didn't respond. 

Realization dawned on his face. After a while, "I can't believe you," He said plainly. 

He leaned back in his chair and when he looked back Aira could see the fury and hurt behind his eyes. She got up and left. It had started snowing outside. He followed her.

"You can't just do this Aira, not when I was about to tell you-" He yelled from behind her.

"That's exactly why I did it, this cannot go any further Elien, don't you understand?!" She turned on him. "I'm the one who's going to run the company in a few years, I cannot afford to look bad! Especially since your dad's company is our biggest rival. Image is everything and I cannot sacrifice mine for you." She was so frustrated, what didn't he understand? He was going through the same thing and yet he seemed as hopeless as ever. 

She walked up to him, faces inches apart. "We're done."

She was about to turn away again when Elien reached his hand out and tilted her chin so she was looking straight up at him. She stood there, not daring to move but her heart begged for her to come closer. 

His eyes were still hopeful and glistening but, quickly, his lips turned into a snarl. "Fuck you," he whispered. A single tear stained her cheek, but she regained her composure and ripped herself and her heart away from him. 

She could feel his gaze on her back as she left him.

The snow still fell as she ran home and she took full advantage and sobbed until she couldn't anymore.