v.

Elien

She stares at him with intent eyes. He can tell that she's choosing her next words carefully.

"I have unfinished business here," She points to the flowers that are supposed to be in Elien's bouquets. 

Aira has always been closed off, but never to this extent. He wants to push her even more but he knows she won't reveal anything, so he changes the subject.

"These are for my mom, you know. So if you could maybe not fuck them up that would be fantastic," He flashes her a grin.

"Why are you being such a dick right now?" She says with a huff reaching for a white ribbon for the flowers.

"That was meant to be funny." He says, crossing his arms, frustrated.

"Well, I'm not laughing," She says, "Do you want a carnation in there somewhere?"

"Why would I..?" He thinks,  "Aren't they-"

She interrupts him, "Your mom's favorite."

"How did you even remember that?" Aira was observant but it's been so long and she's been radio-silent, he thought she completely forgot about him.

"I remember a lot of things," She trails off. He looks at her, really looks at her. They haven't seen each other in a couple of years, but she hasn't changed all that much under that uniform. 

Her brown hair is still as silky as he remembers it. Her eyes shine bright and grey. Her nose still scrunches, ever so slightly, when someone says something she doesn't like. And that someone seems to be Elien now.

Then there's silence. Aira still working on the bouquet and Elien watching her. Neither of them say anything as the silence stretches yet they both seem comfortable in each other's presence. 

Out of nowhere, Aira speaks in a small and quiet voice; the complete opposite of how she spoke before, "How have you been?"

Elien is a little surprised, sure she wouldn't talk to him after that. He thinks for a moment, but his response is still guarded. He still can't let go of what she did. "Pretty well, just taking care of mama and Celia mostly."

"You don't look well," She responds almost immediately, her tone sincere this time, without a hint of sarcasm.

"Thanks, it's a new look I'm going for. Glad to know you approve." He points at his face. 

The gesture draws a small smile out of her and it makes him smile a little too. He begins again, "Hey, I-," He stops himself. Before he can say anything else he remembers her words "We're done," and the way he felt so worthless after. She looks at him a little too hopefully, awaiting his response.

Suddenly, anger flashes behind his eyes, "Forget it, are these flowers done yet? I'd really like to get out of here."

She immediately looks down at them. He might be imagining it but, is that hurt in her eyes? Her hands tighten around the scissors she's holding and nonna can't come soon enough. Her footsteps ring through the shop. She brings down a Tupperware box filled to the brim with Cannoli.

"Here," she shoves the box into his hands, "And you better eat them all," She says, raisng her pointer finger at him. Elien gives her a kiss on the cheek and bows his head in gratitude. "Come again soon, I'm missing you always around here!" She exclaims returning the cheek kiss and waving goodbye as she walks towards the back room, winking at Aira. 

"Your total is $35.57," Aira tells him and hands him the finished bouquet. It's beautiful, the crimson roses and white carnations are almost in their bloom and they smell divine.

He hands her two $20 dollar bills, "Keep the change," He says.

"No, it's fine Elien," She opens the register, fishing out his change.

"Really, I insist," He turns to leave.

"Elien! Just take the money for god's sake!" She calls after him but he charges towards the door. She goes after him and places her hand on his shoulder. The unexpected touch stops him. He turns to face her. Her eyes are still defensive. "I don't need your money."

"Well if I remember correctly, this shop is not yours but Livia's. God, not everything is about you Aira. I'm doing it for her, so just keep the fucking change, will you?" She looks taken aback like she wasn't expecting that response. Elien takes her hand off his shoulder and walks away while she stands there staring at him. He's about to open the door when,

"Elien!" She calls after him and he turns to face her one last time. Her face is blank, "I'd appreciate it if you didn't tell anyone about this," She gestures at her uniform. Her eyes pose a challenge that Elien knows better than to take on. 

"Right..." He turns to leave for the last time and the windchimes echo. He walks to the car, not daring to look back. He hands the flowers to Bart as he gets in the backseat.

"Where to now, sir?" Bart asks as he slides into the driver's seat. Elien registers his question after a few seconds.

"Magnolia Bakery," He responds. As they drive away Elien sneaks one more look at the flower shop. And finds Aira standing in the same spot where he left her, taking a deep breath.