Chapter Five: The Grand Dinner

When Violet awoke, she was surrounded by candlelight. The hunger-inducing aroma of several cooked meals roused her senses and her stomach began to growl. Her appetite was ferocious after such a long nap, she took little time in wrapping a shawl around her evening gown and making her way down the long staircase and into the grand dining room where her aunt and uncle sat patiently. "We were just about to tuck in, thought we'd leave you to dream and send the rest up with the servants, but your company is much preferred, do sit down, our chef is bound to impress your country pallet." Violet's eyes widened like never before. Right under her nose sat an apple roasted suckling pig, to her left was a great pot of vegetable stew with a silver ladle, a plate of fried trout, freshly baked rolls, roast potatoes and a giant bowl of mixed vegetables. On her right sat three different pies, a plate of pastries and a plate of pudding garnished with figs. There was enough food to feed the King's army. "The hardest part about dinner is where does one start?" her uncle laughed whole heartily. "You may start by passing the pig and potatoes old boy" her aunt replied. The footmen replenished plate after plate as the couple ate their fill. It was astonishing to witness so much easily consumed by the two elderly people. Violet was more than happy to take a second and third helping, for at home under her mother's strict hand, such indulgence was unthinkable. It was one plate only and no dessert as ample thighs would terrify any perspective hubby. But city dwellers lived differently in comparison to the traditional country folk with late night feasts, parties, gambling and other questionable adult activities. London offered pleasures that no young woman could resist, but Violet fancied time to herself as was the entire purpose of her stay. All male beasts were off of her agenda. "Please forgive my appearance, I thought since there was no one else attending I could break protocol this evening."

"And so you may, there's no one to impress here my dear. We hardly keep company these days, once you reach our age you find your partner and your plate is quite enough." her aunt replied, never pausing from chewing her portion of pig haunch. "At my age it's a feat making it past eight o'clock" her uncle chuckled. Huge bits of meat and vegetables fell from his chin, but he continued nonetheless. "Between you and me, manners left the table in his twenties. Oh really Henry, you've made a right mess of yourself."

"Hush up you old witch, we both know Violet is the only lady in this house."

"Why you stupid fat brute! I rather say I don't mind if you choke on both your words and your dinner." Violet didn't mind the playful prattle. She was too busy concentrating on which savory selection she would make next. She was too full for a fourth plate, but felt she had enough room for a raspberry tart or a slice of pie. Possibly both. Her aunt watched from the far end of the table. "Forget about your figure while you're here dearest. Another bite will do your troubled soul some good." It didn't take much convincing for Violet to indulge in one final treat. A piece of warm pudding would put any further worries of the day to bed and complimented her tea perfectly. The candlelight grew dim in the grand dining room, leaving the footmen with little light to clear and clean the table. Uncle Henry let out a monstrous belch which sent one of his buttons across the room and into a bowl of punch. "Fantastic nosh Nigel, please thank the chef and assorted staff, I'm far too tired to descened those wretched stairs at this hour, I shall have my brandy in the study."

"Very good, sir."

"I say Violet, would you fancy a game of cards? While we lived in France I became quite the master at Jeu Royal de la Guerre. Am I pronouncing that right, Henry?"

"Oh it's far too late to teach the child that now. How about a friendly match of Cribbage? The French make such ghastly war games." The time was now ten o'clock and well past Violet's bedtime, but the dinner and the nap kept her mind energized. "I should love a game of Cribbage, it's been ages."

"Oh splendid!" her aunt squealed. "Now even though we are family, I shan't go easy on you!"

The three of them settled in the study, uncle Henry perched himself in the high back chair and Violet and Aunt Dorothy sitting across from one another at a small gaming table.

"When it comes to any type of competition your dear aunt is ruthless. We've never been invited back to the king's court."

"No pity at all, his matches were rigged I dare say."

"She's got courage, I'll give her that. A man would hang for muttering the same accusation."

"Dearest please cease your infernal commentary, we're trying to get stuck into the game."

"Bah, have at it then; you've been warned. Don't let her trick you with any small talk."

"Whatever do you mean? Violet's only just arrived, she's not a thing to speak about of London, isn't that so Violet?"

"Well actually upon arrival, Thomas and I met a rather interesting gentlemen who offered to assist our lamed mare."

"You don't say? Go on tell us, was he of high society? And why am I hearing of this now?"

"For goodness sake Dorothy, shut up and let the poor girl answer."

"He introduced himself as a Mr. Alexander Parker."

"Ah, of Sussex?"

"Yes, how did you ever know?"

"Oh my sweet lamb if you live to be as old as we are you meet the whole of England. He comes from a long respectable brood. In fact if I recall correctly your father is to Luncheon with them in the coming weeks. You should return in time, you mustn't lose him to one of the many tarts of London, or your sisters for that matter. You would make a handsome match."

"Are you daft and deaf old cow? The girl said she's not seeking companionship."

"Henry gets rather fussy past his bedtime. It's all the brandy going straight to his head. Come now, let us finish our game and get a good night's rest. I've planned a tour of the city for us tomorrow in hopes you become better acquainted with the locals."

Aunt Dorothy smiled wickedly leaning back in her chair. Not surprisingly the game had settled in her favor.

"Cupid's arrow never misses."

"And cheaters never prosper." uncle Henry replied.