Chapter 9

Ember's POV

I woke up and there was light shining in the room through the window. I no longer felt Hawk's warmth beside me, looking around he wasn't in the bedroom or the bathroom. I reached for my phone on the bedside table and saw that it was 7:30am. I got up to peek into the other room only to find it empty as well. Deciding I should get ready for the day I grab my things and head into the bathroom to take a shower.

Having the hot water beating on my back helped to relax my tight muscles. Yesterday had been a wild ride. Being curled up with Hawk last night felt like home, which is a feeling I have never had before. I've always felt restless and a need to move never staying in one place for too long. But being in his arms I felt like I never wanted to be anywhere else. This is only temporary though. He is just keeping me safe, nothing more. I breathed out a deep breath and continued to get ready for the day.

Walking out of Hawk's room I noticed Cass coming out of the room across from me. She smiled at me, "Good morning Ember!" She cheerily greeted me. She always was a morning person.

I smiled back at her, "Good Morning! How are you feeling this morning?" I asked with concern.

"I'm alright, still a little shaken from all that happened yesterday. What are we going to do? We cannot stay here indefinitely. We have to get back to St. Louis and to our jobs."

"Are you sure you want to leave behind Gage?" I gave her a knowing smirk. Her face flushed bright red.

"Oh him? He's just being kind to me. I'm sure he would be that way with anyone that needed help." Came her reply, though she sounded sad and almost disappointed when she said it.

"Oh I highly doubt that. The way he looks at you and how he held you last night after you felt asleep you would think you are the most precious thing in the world." I informed her.

Again her face flushed red. "What about you? Hawk seems to have taken a special interest in you." She gave me her own knowing smirk.
"Nice subject change Cass," I smiled at her, "but let's face it a guy like that could never like someone like me." I felt my heart hurt from the thought of that.

"What do you mean by a girl like you? You are gorgeous and one of the most caring people I've ever met! He'd be crazy to not want you. Plus, he's been looking at you like you are the precious one." I could tell she desperately wanted me to believe her.

Deciding to change the subject myself I asked, "Do you know where all the guys went?"

"Gage went off a while ago saying that they had church at 7. He wouldn't tell me any details though of what they were going to talk about. Something about keeping me safe and its better I just don't know." She sounded annoyed.

"Hawk wouldn't tell me anything last night either." These men sure like their secrets. "Why don't we go down and make them some breakfast? I could go for some French toast and bacon."

Cass's eyes lit up, "I love your French toast!"

We began to make our way downstairs. I saw Crow standing at the bottom of the stairs. He turned when he heard us and smiled up at us. "Well Good morning to you to lovely ladies." He called out greeting.

"Why were you just standing at the bottom of the stairs?" Cass queried.

"Hawk asked me to stand guard here with you two still being upstairs sleeping. Just in case anyone thought to try anything. Though I don't know who he thinks would try anything on the ranch." He said a little proudly. I'm guess he felt pride about being the one chosen to guard the stairs from any danger to us. That's sweet. Though the last part caught my attention and I made a mental note to ask Hawk about it later.

"Cass and I were going to go start making some breakfast. How long do you think the guys will be in church?"

"Oh they will probably be at least another hour or so." Crow scratched his chin thinking.

"Perfect!" Exclaimed Cass. We began making our way to the kitchen with Crow following close behind.

"Are you supposed to stay with us now?" What's changed that now we need to be watched all the time?

"That's what Prez said. I'm supposed to stay with you when he, Gage, Buster, or Blade can't," interesting. "Well ladies what are you going to be making this morning? Your food was a huge hit last night and I don't think you are gonna be able to top that." Crow asked us.

"Oh just you wait! You are in for a treat," Cass informed Screw.

"We're going to make French toast, bacon, sausage, eggs, and fruit salad." I listed off my plan for him, his eyes got bigger with each thing I listed off and if I'm not mistaken there was a little drool at the side of his mouth. I laughed a little shaking my head and his reaction.

"That sounds amazing! What can I do to help?" Crow's enthusiasm made both Cass and I giggle.

We got to work getting all the ingredients needed and began making the breakfast feast. Crow was such a sweetheart. I was quickly beginning to look at him as a little brother with his boyish charm and young behavior. One could almost forget he was a part of a dangerous biker club. When we were getting close to everything being ready I thought about Pearl and Axel. "Crow, where are some containers I could stick some of this food in? I want to take some over to Pearl and Axel. She doesn't need to be worried about cooking right now and he'll need a good meal this morning when he wakes up."

Crow showed me where to find them and I packed up some containers to take. I then instructed Cass and Crow to take the food out to the bar like yesterday. Crow tried to argue with me that I'd have to wait to take the food until someone else could go with me since I couldn't be off on my own because Hawk would become very upset by that. Hawk is not the boss of me. I am way too stubborn for that though and insisted I go ahead and take it now while it is fresh.

I made my way out the back door and started the short trek to Pearl and Axel's house. About halfway there I heard some noises coming from behind one their smaller buildings. I picked up my pace to their house continually peeking behind me to make sure no one was there. I breathed a sigh of relief when I made it to their front porch.

I knocked on the door and was greeted by Pearl's smiling but tired face.

"Ember, what are you doing here this early in the morning? And why are you alone?" she asked the last part looking a little worried.

"I wanted to check on you and Axel and make sure you had some food to eat." I informed her. Man, everyone was really nervous about me being alone.

"This is very kind of you, but you really shouldn't have left the clubhouse without someone with you. Things are not safe right now." Pearl seemed truly concerned for me, "Doc came by before heading off to church this morning to check on Axel. He said Axel seems to be doing well and should wake up soon."

"That is great to hear, I'm so thankful that he will be okay." I truly was thankful for this. I could see how much Pearl loved that man and didn't want her to lose him.

I was getting ready to leave when suddenly there was a loud banging on the door, "Ember get your ass out here!" I heard the deep angry voice of Hawk say through the door. Mine and Pearl's eyes widened.