Chapter Eight - Artificial Roses

Sorry this took so long, I've only just managed to sit down and write. Angst in this one, but I tried to make up for it at the end. If you want to read a reader insert version, please check out my tumblr (peterandtheparkers). With the whole James Jonah  part, if JJ is ever revealed to stand for something, I will come back and change it :)

Enjoy 1.6K of my bullshit

The piece of map that the Pogues already had started them at the boneyard. From there they had entrusted the map to Pope, who was, without a doubt, the smartest member of their group.

El had somehow convinced the Pogues to try and rest before doing this. They had (rather reluctantly) agreed to go to bed and wait until the early hours of the morning to conduct their treasure hunt.

"So," she began and looked around the boneyard. "Is this where we start or where we finish?"

"And will this take long?" Sarah continued, leaning against Kie's shoulder. "We have to go dress shopping."

The other four Pogues turned, their eyebrows raised. "Why do you need dresses?" John B asked carefully, as if afraid of the answer.

The girls laughed and looked at each other. "You'll see," they said and winked in John B's direction.

Clapping her hands, El turned to her brother. "Did you grab the shovel?" She asked and he grabbed it from behind him. "Great. Start digging. Everybody else? Get searching."

While JJ made multiple holes around the boneyard, the others searched for something, anything, that John B's dad could've hidden from them. They were out there for hours before Pope finally called for them all to stop. "This isn't working," he said with a huff. "I don't think your dad would've just left something in the boneyard. This has got to be where the map starts."

El's stomach rumbled. She looked around at her friends, all sweaty and exhausted, and dropped to the sand. "Where do we go from here?" She asked and pressed her hands to her stomach. "This is hopeless," she muttered and dropped her head into her hands. 

From her pocket, her phone buzzed. El pulled it out and read through her text. Get Sarah to drop you at mine later, I got you a surprise ;)

"Who is it?" The rest of the Pogues asked, peering over her shoulder. 

She pocketed her phone, stood up and glared at them. "Sarah, my love. Can you take me home with you later?" She asked with a sweet smile. Sarah raised her eyebrows before nodding. "You're an absolute angel," El said and started walking away.

"Where are you going?!" Called her brother. He brandished his shovel like a weapon. "We've only just started."

Huffing, El turned back around. She placed her hands on her hips. "Well, I'm going back to the Chateau to wash up and get ready for tonight." She quirked her eyebrow, challenging her brother. 

JJ didn't back down. "Why are you getting ready for tonight? What's going on?" When El didn't answer, he pushed his shovel into the sand. "It's Rafe, isn't it? You're spending the night with him." Again, El didn't answer. "I don't like this, El. What if he's using you?"

"What could he possibly be using me for?!"

"Oh, I don't know, El. What could he possibly be dating you for?!"

"James Jonah Maybank, you hold your tongue!" The others murmured from behind them. "How dare you speak to me like that! I have spent my entire life trying to make sure you are always happy and healthy and that you want for nothing and this is how you thank me? This is the first time a boy has actually shown interest in me and you want to stop that. You're not a child anymore, JJ. Why can't you let me be happy for once?"