Chapter Fifteen - The Tower

Hello my little babies! Chapter fifteen already! It only took Eight fucking months. (There is a reason but we're gonna get into that later).

Okay, now I need some feedback from you guys. The end of this book is near, but it won't be the end of Rafe and El. Do you want a whole separate book or for this one to be continued with just a divider or something to separate part one (what we've just had) from part two? THIS IS REALLY IMPORTANT PLEASE FEEDBAC

Next item on the agenda, why my uploads are all over the place with month long gaps between: I am so fucking depressed bro. I feel like any day now I'm gonna fall off the deep end and there's nobody there to stop me from falling. I can't talk to my parents because they'll grill me on what I have to be depressed about or tell me to get over it and I've driven everybody else away and I don't know what I did or how to fix it and it just fucking sucks. There's this crushing weight on me at all times and for the first time in my life I can't lift it.

Anyway, enjoy 1.5K of my bullshit

"Why are we letting Cameron have the map?"

JJ was suddenly in front of Rafe, glaring down at him. "How do we know he's not gonna take the treasure for himself?"

El smacked the back of his head. "We don't know what we're looking for idiot! There might not be any treasure." She could feel Rafes glare in the back of her head. "And Rafe isn't a bad guy!" She smacked JJ's shoulder and pulled him away.

As it turns out, nobody but El was comfortable with Rafe leading the way. Even Sarah had her reservations about her own brother. John B stayed beside him, almost like a guard leading a prisoner to execution. And Rafe kept leading the way, almost excepting his fate.

It was exactly between The Cut and Figure Eight, Where the two separated, where the dividing line was, that Rafe finally stopped. "It should be somewhere around here," he said and immediately looked to El.

You did great, she mimed, took his hand and squeezed.

"There used to be a tower here!" Pope immediately shouted. "They used it to light fires on the tower that would alert to attacks and stuff because it was quicker than sending messages. The tower was destroyed during one of those attacks."

"You can bet your asses that big John hid whatever he's hiding in the rubble of that tower."

As usual, the boys looked to El. "What are we waiting for?" She called, shooting them away. "Let's go and find that tower!"

The Pogues spent hours searching. Any collection of rocks and old bricks had the screaming for the others to come over, but it usually turned out to be nothing. El had never seen a Kook use their hands as much as Rafe was right now. He was digging through things, overturning rocks.

He constantly looked at El for approval. "What?" She asked, passing him a water bottle. "Why do you keep looking at me like that? It's making me nervous."

The grin slipped from his face and he went back to searching. "Rafe." El grabbed his shoulder. "Come on, talk to me. What's the matter?"

He didn't grin again, only smiled a lop sided smile. His hair was a mess and his shirt was unbuttoned. El leaned into his chest and Rafe moved his fingers through her hair. "You're the only person who believes in me and doesn't think I'm a screwup and I love you."