ten

The day after our first Quiddich lesson, where Potter ended up catching the Remembrall, was also the day that made me most uncomfortable. Sure, I was a natural. As was Draco. We spent hours and hours playing against each other so it wasn't an issue. 

It was just the way Draco acted that put me off.

I watched as he deliberately took Longbottom's little Remembrall because he still hadn't forgotten what his parents did to mine. I watched as Draco threw it away in the air and Potter could have died grabbing that.

But why did I care so much?

The next morning, Draco was especially shocked when he watched Potter and Weasley make their way down to grab breakfast.

"What did you do?" I asked Draco in a low voice, handing him the package my Grandparents gave me. "Why do you look so shocked?"

I mean, Greg and Vince looked dumbfounded but they always look like that anyway.

"Draco?" I nudged him when he turned pale all of a sudden. His shock was completely gone the moment he was reading the contents of his letter.

"I challenged them to a midnight duel," he answered distractedly, clenching the envelope in his hands tightly. "I was held up by-"

Draco grimaced and I could have sworn his eyes darted to Pansy.

"Okay," I said slowly, trying to process this information. "But why are you so pale?"

He handed me the letter.

Glancing at the envelope, all I saw was the usual loopy letters his mother, Narcissa, had written. I didn't understand the problem.

Until I read the letter.

Draco,

If you get an envelope from Madam Malkins, don't let anyone see. Don't open it. Don't do anything with it. Only hand it to Severus. He will handle it. That is all you do, son.

Narcissa.

"What is going on?" I whispered.

Narcissa's tone was urgent and colder than usual. It made no sense at all.

"What does a robemaker have anything to do with this?" I said incredulously. "What does Madam-"

"Rosalynna," Draco snapped instantly. 

"She," I corrected, biting my bottom lip. "have to do with any of this? The vault? Is it a coincidence that the vault we saw in that letter is right beside the empty vault that was broken in?"

Draco didn't say anything for a long time.

"A possibility is that they tried stealing from the wrong vault or," Draco was completely quiet. "they're going through all the vaults to find what they need. That may be the only time they were caught."

Daphne and Blaise started glancing at us with worried expressions but knew better than to interrupt us. I'm sure they were suspicious but I appreciated the fact that they wouldn't ask for answers we wouldn't give.

My face was ashen.

"Or," Draco added hastily. "it's just a complete coincidence."

I stared at the letter. "When we get the envelope from her, do you think we should look into the letter?"

Draco started for our friends, clenching his jaw. 

"I don't think we have a choice, Rosalyn."