fifteen

Cassius Warrington.

The name clicked the moment I was already stumbling in the long halls of the Malfoy Manor as I cursed myself silently for being so stupid. Though I was in my fourth year, he was in his sixth, which was why I did not recognize him at first.

Stupid, stupid, stupid.

At Hogwarts, he was all the girls could whisper about. They giggled about Draco but the reaction Cassius warranted was on another whole level. 

I guess girls liked the brooding.

"Rosalyn," A willowy girl with familiar locks approached me.

Daphne.

Tears filled my eyes as I wrapped my arms around my best friend. 

"Daphne," my voice cracked, and then the sob I was holding in for so long broke. Daphne clutched me tighter and she was crying at the same time. "I missed you."

She managed a laugh, her makeup ruined by the time we pulled apart. "Since when did you start crying?" Her french accent was still there. "France softened you up, Rosalyn."

Daphne had been the only one who secretly visited me. Mainly because she was the only person who I told when I left for Beauxbatons. She didn't question it when I told her and only hugged me. Daphne even taught me some basic French.

I had felt like I betrayed Draco that day.

"Shit," she wiped at her mascara. "Now my makeup's ruined."

It was bizarre to hear her curse.

"How did you find me?" I then asked. "You should be at the ballroom."

Daphne lifted an eyebrow. She really did get so beautiful. "How could I, when I heard Cassius Warrington kissed you."

Taken aback by the absurdity of the rumor, I burst out laughing. 

"I'm sure he was the one who spread that," I said, amused.

"Why would he do that?" Daphne was more surprised by the minute. I wasn't surprised. I'm pretty sure he rejected her twice. Respectfully, of course. "He doesn't seem to like rumors. Or attention. I'm also pretty sure he's drunk."

I thought back to the conversation and remembered the clarity in his eyes. I shook my head. "He was sober," I mused. "He acted drunk, though."

Daphne watched me carefully.

"Anyway, that's just his way of giving me a message," I shrugged.

"Huh?"

It was hard to explain, even to Daphne. I had a feeling Cassius knew that I would understand, but it would baffle anyone else. "Cassius is telling me I should go to Hogwarts."

She shook her head in disbelief. "How did you even get that?!"

"By spreading that rumor, he announced to the purebloods that I was back," I explained. "If I go back to Beauxbatons, everyone will think I'm running away from the rumor because it's true. Then they'll think there's something between us."

I saw the understanding fall in Daphne's expression. "But if you go back to Hogwarts, the rumor will be dismissed because everyone knows Cassius doesn't chase a girl. Girls flock to him." Daphne trailed off. "Then, you'll get to lie low as you have for these two years."

I didn't know what to do but nod. 

"I can't tell who's the genius," she muttered. "I thought he wasn't very bright."

"You're just mad he didn't accept your advances," I teased and Daphne's cheeks turned red.

"I am not!" She then pointed a finger at me, suspiciously. "So?"