Trauma and mental health

Mm okay, good start; I was going to put some emojis next to the word as a defence mechanism.

Emojis included: ✨👌💕🥵🔥👀

I am sorry about that.

Anyway, from a young age things can change suddenly, even by one comment. I'm not going to get into too much detail, but a lot of the time if someone is funny - they're sad, if someone is kind - people have not been kind to them, it's the whole stereotype everyone knows about it but remember to keep it in mind. If you want to add depth to your character or another character think about those defenses and walls and acts, also bloody remember that someone isn't going to just open up at the blink of an eye.

I know it's a sensitive topic so you really have to think carefully. It's a sore topic for me, so the rest of this note will be about the more mental health side. Again it's sensitive to please be careful when reading.

If you're going to give your character a mental health problem, please keep it realistic! Would someone with (insert topic here) actually do that or react that way? If it's personal to you then I understand but please really think and empathise with the character in that position.

If you need some tips on how to form the trait I've got it here. Can I just say, mental illness is very serious and will not go away when meeting someone and falling in love. There is a lot more to it than that and can take years to overcome.

Depression:
- Fatigue
- Weight loss
- lack of motivation
- Feelings linked to suicide or suicidal thoughts
- Headaches/migraines

Anxiety:
- Being worried
- Headaches
- Symptoms of paranoia
- Lack of sleep
- Panic attacks

OCD:
- Need to do things a certain way
- Isolation
- Panic attacks
- Repetition
- Dark thoughts
- Being sad

Schizophrenia:
- Hearing voices that aren't here
- Hallucinations
- Panic attacks
- Paranoia

ADHD (ADD):
- Hyperactive
- Difficulty focusing
- Struggle to stay calm in bad situations
- Prone to panic attacks
- Prone to anger issues