Chapter Twenty Eight

The past week or so, Allie has been short with Noah on text messages or conversations. When he does see her he is so exhausted that he will just eat, talk briefly, and then fall asleep.

He knows he shouldn't worry but unfortunately, he always worries. He is big on communication and last time Allie went radio silent she left and tore him up. He knows she isn't going to leave yet the worry that she will feel the need or want to run away still hangs over his head.

Noah finally has a day off and they are sitting at Ben and Sadie's watching the kids play. His favorite spot. Allie is quiet, the kids are distracted, now is the time to talk.

"Sweetheart, is everything ok?" He interrupts her.

"Hmm," She looks down from her trance. "What do you mean?"

"You've been quiet and short with me over the past week. It's not like you,"

"Well, you've been busy,"

"True, but I have this gut feeling something is going on. I know I am not crazy. Please, talk to me," He softly begs. He watches her bite her lip and look away with worry in her eyes. Fuck.

"There is something but I can't necessarily talk about it,"

Noah sits up and faces her. He hooks his hand under her chin and turns her to face him. "Allie, since when have you not been able to talk to me?"

"It is something I can't talk about,"

He is staring her down while the guilt falls across her face. He wants to push further but the parents come around the corner to the backyard. They see the boys and start to clap.

"My babies!" Jessie waves them over.

"Boys!" Sadie joins her.

"Men!" Ben tries to correct the ladies, "My men!"

Henry and Logan race over to the parents and take all the love they give.

"Allie, we are talking about this later," Noah whispers to her.

She looks to Ben who nods his head towards her.

"How about I show you?" She looks back at Noah.

"Show me?" Confused, he looks back and forth between her and ben. "We don't hide things from each other,"

"I know, but, um..." She stutters.

"What did you do?" He asks further.

Ben holds out a blindfold and noise-canceling headphones. Noah gives him a troubled look as Ben grins big at him. "Here, put this on,"

"Trust me?" Allie asks.

"I trust you," He assures her but is still curious as to what is going on.

"Then do this for me, please," She gives him puppy dog eyes.

"She's worked on something cool for you. Just get in the car and put the shit on," Ben tells him.

"Language!" Sadie yells.

"Ben!" Jessie is right behind her.

"Sorry," Ben holds his hands up but winks at Henry and Logan. They just sit by Jessie and Sadie giggling.

Allie has a worried look on her face and Noah decides he's outnumbered in this. He does as he is told and climbs in the truck putting the blindfold on and the headphones. He can't imagine what she has done. As frustrated as he is that she kept something from him he's kind of excited to think she again did something for him. Maybe she made something? He huffs as he talks himself into letting go of some control and just enjoys it.