Chapter Five

When Allie got home from her mom's she couldn't relax. So many things were swirling in her head. If her mom was going to be ok, the cost of treatments and medications.

How can she pay for all this? She will need a second job but then who will take care of her mom most days? She would need to hire another nurse. Maybe leave the apartment and move back home?

She ends up staying up most of the night and doing meal prep freezer meals. Figure she can make Noah some stuff as a thank you. It was nice for him not to let her pay for the extra time spent at her mom's house. Her mom is right, he is very cute, but he seems to have a lot on his plate, as does she. Plus he doesn't see her like that, right? What the hell does she know, she's barely dated. She's spent all her time working and then helping her mom with medical bills. When her mom had to quit working Allie spent what she could on what insurance didn't cover.

When she finished all the cooking she gathered all the meals and bribed the manager to let her in Noah's apartment. She had grabbed what most kids would eat or would like. Figured he wants more time with them then this is just one less thing for him to do.

It's the next evening and she is making some alfredo for herself and leftovers for the next couple of days since she works. She hears a knock at the door and when she opens it she is surprised to find Noah standing there, looking so unsure.

"Regret knocking?" She asks.

"Um...I... " He starts, not knowing what he should say. "Thank you for the food. It's amazing,"

"Sure thing. Thanks for helping and keeping my mom's secret,"

"Of course! Um... the kid's snacks?"

"Hope it's ok,"

"Yeah!" Noah still feels unsure of being at her door. "Pretty damn perfect,"

"Good... good," She taps her fingers on the door. "Did you eat?"

"Oh, not yet. I do have freezer meals though. Labeled and everything," He scratches the back of his head. Nervous as hell.

"Ha! Ok, come in. I have dinner. Fresh and hot," Allie gestures.

"I don't want to disturb you. I know you wanted quiet neighbors,"

"True. Well, this can be a welcome to the building dinner?" Allie tries to be positive. She senses his hesitation. "It's ok, you don't have to..."

"Yeah, I'd love dinner," He gives in.

She opens the door wider for him to enter and she guides him to the table. He sits down as she places the food in front of them.

"What's this?" He looks at it like he's never seen food before.

"Seared chicken alfredo with roasted grape tomatoes, spinach, and garlic. Garlic bread," She points to everything.

She fills a plate and hands it to him. His eyes gaze over everything. Allie watches him take a bite while his eyes roll and he lets out a subtle moan.

"Fuck, that's good!" He moans.

Allie giggles and pushes her food around, "Glad you like it,"

"If those freezer meals are anything like this, I'm going to heat them and binge eat them in one evening!" He states.

"You will not!"

"Try me! I'm a big dude!"

"You are not THAT big," She teases.

He fake gasps and places his hand over his chest. "Oh god! Don't ever say that to a guy,"

"Why? My brother, he's a big dude. He played football and everything," Allie says matter of fact.