7

Two weeks later ...

Katie perches on a stool, as she reads through several articles and documents relating to the 20th century.

Confused she looks back at several pages re-reading words and makes sense of them.

A few hours later, still perched on the stool, she exclaims with a sigh, "I'm done."

"ping!" An email appears on her rickety phone; she looks down at it to see a job offer as a secretary for the leading guard of Hitler's army.

Her plan had worked, but she didn't know that they were one step ahead. 

~ ~ ~

That night ...

Slowly and reluctantly Katie, uncovers her face from beneath the covers.

She blinks, then closes her eyes, and then blinks again.

The etching sound that lightly dances across the bedroom window is enough to send her sitting up in bed in pitch darkness, as cold sweat washes over her face and chest.

Something moves near the window. Katie peers out of the duvet just in time to see the shadow of a figure rush pass.

Hallucinations or reality she couldn't tell, but she had a strong feeling that her every move was being watched.

In one quick motion, she rushes up, grabs the tattered and almost useless curtains, yanking them across the window, veiling herself from whatever evil lay out there in the pulsating darkness.

A short while later she's doses away.