㊱ 𝚃𝙷𝙴 𝙿𝙰𝙸𝙽𝚃𝙸𝙽𝙶

~~~

Charlie

I was asleep, as I had been for a while now.

As I had wanted to be forever.

Asleep, coddled up into Skyler's arms, hidden away from the world and the dangerous things that inhabited it. I wanted to rest here, with him, until the end of time. His soft touch smothering me whole; his silky fur, his sweet scent, everything that made me feel safe surrounded me like a cozy sweater or a warm blanket on a cold, winter night. 

I never wanted to leave.

But, all things must reach an end. No matter how scared I am of the conclusion.

I could feel the gentle contact of Skyler's claw-less fingertips fondling the spaces behind my ears, slowly stealing me from sleep. I awoke, expecting to see the bright beams of daylight, only to be met with more darkness; apart from the neon glow of the digital clock on the bedside table. '4 AM', it read.

Suddenly, an orange glow flickered and illuminated the pitch-black bedroom in small sparks, the tiny snap of a lighter quietly blazing. I found myself suppressed into the pillows, unaware of what exactly was happening. I lifted myself from the cushions and turned around, finding the source of the orange glow.

My eyes landed on Skyler, who was lighting a candle with a pocket lighter, passing the flame and crowning a small cupcake. A vanilla muffin-sized treat with white frosting and colorful sprinkles.

There was a small, subtle smile on Skyler's face as I slowly adjusted to the setting of the burning flame, sitting upright and steadying myself on the bed. Skyler, rested on his knees, put the lighter down on the bedside table, and held the brightly-shining dessert in my direction.

"I'm sorry that your birthday plans got interrupted," Skyler whispered, keeping the atmosphere as calm as possible. "This is me making it up to you."

He gestured the candle towards me once more. I felt a smile creep onto my face as well.

Last night ended with so many tears. I'm glad to be woken up with peace.

Skyler told me everything last night about the woman he met during that one trip. He spilled every feature that he could possibly remember from that one encounter with her. He believes her to be my mother. Every detail he communicated miraculously lined up with the image I had of my mother when I was a child. They had the same name, the same looks, the same personality.

Skyler had met my mother and never realized. And all I had to do was tell him who she was beforehand, and this all would've ended sooner. But, no. My reluctance to open up to him dragged things out in an excruciatingly painful way.

But, it was no longer the time to mourn over my misdeeds. It was time to find my mother.

It was time for me to see her again.

"...Whatever happens today, Charlie," Skyler looked me in the eyes, which glimmered brightly before the flame, "I love you, and I will never leave your side. Ever."

The heat of the burning candle brushed against my face. I stared down at the swaying patch of fire, igniting the wick poking out of the colorful wax.

The sight felt too familiar.

I was reminded of a time long before any of this happened.

When I knew much less than I did now.