The Royal Weddings

Within hours, Janaka's emissaries left Mithila on sturdy, light chariots, drawn by steeds chosen for their speed and endurance. A spare set of equally capable horses accompanied them so that the animals could be rested intermittently and the journey could be undertaken with fewer stop-overs. With short breaks during the day and just a few hours of rest late into the night, the emissaries arrived at the main gate of Ayodhya by Noon on the third day.

King Janaka had always been a good friend of Dasharatha. The guards saw Videha's emblem engraved on the chariots and politely enquired the emissaries regarding the purpose of their visit.

"We have arrived with an urgent message from our lord, king Janaka," they replied, "Please convey our request to king Dasharatha to grant us an audience as early as possible."

The guards at the main gate sent messages immediately to the palace guards and let the emissaries into Ayodhya. Dasharatha was holding court and with his concurrence, the emissaries were ushered in directly.

"Our monarch Janaka sends his regards to you, O Lord," the representatives bowed and said with folded palms, "He enquires about your well-being and that of your ministers, sages, priests and your city-dwellers."

"Please convey my regards to king Janaka, Emissaries," Dasharatha replied, "But do reveal without further delay the urgent message that my friend has sent for me."

"Yes, Lord," they continued, "king Janaka has asked us to convey that it is with Brahmarshi Vishwamitra's permission that he sends this message."

The emperor's face lit up on the mention of Rshi Kaushika. This was the first news he was hearing about his sons after the sage had whisked them away around three weeks earlier.

"If Maharshi Vishwamitra is in Mithila, my sons should also be with him," he hurried them, "Are they well? How did they end up in Mithila? Do convey the rest of the message quickly!"

"As you are aware, Lord," they continued, "Our emperor had set up a contest several years earlier. Any man who managed to lift the sacred bow of Rudra and string it would win our princess Sita as Virya Shulka."

"Your sons who arrived in Mithila along with Brahmarshi Vishwamitra, achieved the unachievable. As the entire court of our Lord witnessed, Rama lifted the bow, tied the string and tested the bow's strength, during which the bow broke into two."

"With permission from the Brahmarshi and consent of his family-priest Shatananda, our lord seeks your permission to give away princess Sita in marriage to prince Rama. He requests that you reach Mithila at the earliest along with your retinue of ministers, priests and sages, enabling him to fulfil the promise he made when he set up the contest."

The words were music to the monarch's ears. He rose from his seat, unable to contain his joy. The emissaries stopped immediately, wondering whether they had spoken too much and the king was upset.

"Your message brings immense joy to Ayodhya, Emissaries of Videha," Dasharatha smiled, "My sons have safely reached Mithila under the care of Rshi Vishwamitra. That means the Brahmarshi's Yajna was successfully protected by my sons. Adding to it, impressed by Rama's valour, my good friend Janaka wishes to make him his son-in-law! The princes of Ayodhya have earned immense glory for the entire kingdom. There is nothing better that a father could ask for from his sons."

"Do you approve of this marriage?" He turned to Vasishta, Vamadeva and the other sages and ministers to seek their concurrence. "Do you approve of forging a stronger relationship with Mithila through this alliance?"

Videha was a friendly kingdom and the two rulers had enjoyed good camaraderie all along. The approval of the court came forth immediately without hesitation.