Chapter One

Sometime after leaving the Seashore, Gandalf informed me that he needed to meet someone else. We parted ways with the promise of meeting each other at Bag End. From that point on I spent my time studying the lands as I passed them.

The farthest from home that I have been was the market that was about an hour's ride. Most of what I knew from the world outside of that came from stories and maps. Part of that was simply because we did not have the time to leave the bar, but the biggest reasoning father gave was that he knew how dangerous Middle Earth was. He had experienced the many horrors the land had to offer and wanted to protect me from them as long as possible.

Given the tales I had heard, I was slightly wary of traveling alone. However, I did as Gandalf said and stayed on the trails with my father's sword in easy access.

Late in the evening on my second day, I found myself finally wandering into Bag End. It was a charming little place, far different from my home by the sea. I was mainly amazed, however, at how small the homes were, as well as the abundant plant life that grew all over the area. Hobbits truly were astounding creatures.

I took my time upon the path, checking each door as I passed for the symbol Gandalf had informed me would lead me to the right place. Near the end of the road, I finally saw what I was searching for. It was a gorgeous home, and I stopped to allow myself to smell the flowers as I walked up to it. We had never been able to grow many flowers because of all the sand, but I have always loved them. The Hobbit who lived here must take great care of them.

After pulling myself away from the plants, I knocked on the door and waited patiently. A few moments later it was pulled open by a disgruntled looking hobbit with a head full of sandy brown curls. He looked as if he had been about to say something, but upon seeing me his mouth closed and his expression changed to confusion. "Um, good evening," He greeted politely. "Bilbo Baggins, at your service. Can I help you?"

"Oh yes," I responded with a smile. "My name is (Y/n) (L/n). I was invited by Gandalf. It's a pleasure to meet you!"

The hobbit seemed to be fighting an internal battle with himself judging by the various reactions that flashed across his face. Finally, he seemed to settle on acceptance, and he pulled the door open the rest of the way. "Come in."

I thanked him before ducking down to step inside. Instantly, I was in awe of the craftmanship of the home. The round, wooden arches and antique looking furniture gave it such a homey feeling. It smelled of freshly baked bread and something else that I couldn't place but made me feel even more hungry than I already was. "Your house is lovely," I told him as I admired the rooms.

The hobbit blushed lightly and scratched his neck in embarrassment, "Thank you, it's been in the family for a very long time."

"Well, now who is this?" Came a voice from the kitchen.

"Definitely not a dwarf, at the least. Too tall."

Two young looking dwarves appeared before me, grinning widely. They bowed in unison. "I'm Fili."

"And I'm Kili."

"(Y/n). Nice to meet you." I replied.

Fili had long golden hair and a mustache done up, interestingly enough, in braids. Kili was a bit taller and had dark hair, with a fair bit of stubble. They both had the same mischievous smirk and a similar air about them that made it obvious that they brothers. Everything about these two screamed trouble. They were definitely the kind that liked to be up to no good.

I decided I liked them.

Another knock on the door sent Bilbo into a rant as he angrily went to answer it. A pile of dwarves tumbled into the room followed by Gandalf. Each dwarf quickly rambled off their name before meandering into the kitchen to prepare for dinner. Bilbo launched into his disdain for the events, but anyone could tell Gandalf was only half listening. The wizard's eyes scanned the room until they landed on me, standing awkwardly in the hallway.