Heartbroken/Angry Parent #5

My little daughter, Nel, had been sick in the hospital for days. Her baby brother, Walker, had to stay home with my husband. I got a frantic call from my husband, begging me to come home. I had been chatting with Nel just before and she wanted to know what was wrong. I didn't know how to tell her. Those people robbed a sick little girl of her baby brother. I've never heard her scream like that. The nurses had to give her a sedative to calm her down. I barely managed to drive myself home.

A small woman stood in my living room. My husband stood in the doorway of Walker's room. Walker was sitting on his bed. He was just over four years old. He had his ipad in his hand. All eyes were on me. The woman approached me carefully. She told me that a last minute decision had been made. Their fifth candidate had recently been diagnosed with cancer. They couldn't have their program jeopardized by a sick kid. Walker was their next choice. I hadn't heard anything like this before today. It broke me.

I called Walker out of his room. He shuffled over to me. I knelt in front of him and put my hand on his shoulder. "Mama", he mumbled. "Why are you crying?" It just made me cry more. I pulled my baby boy into a tight hug. I ended up sobbing into his shoulder. His small hand reached out and patted my head. The woman kept apologizing. My husband knelt beside us and explained everything. Walker just nodded and hugged us. He was shaking. The woman waited for us to finish saying goodbye. She led Walker to her car. He waved at us until we couldn't see him anymore. Nel didn't even get a chance to say goodbye.