The Man

I was the first to see our entire group of kids. They had all been placed into a nice little playroom. A nice young woman named Amanda was charged with watching them. She was sent in when little Saphie started crying. There was discussion of changing the kids' names. I quite like their names. Adam, age 5. Walker, age 4. Roman, age 3. Keenan, age 2. Blyke, age 1. Liam, 6 months. Saphie, 2 months. We decided to keep their names.

Amanda entered the room carefully. The boy called Walker was startled. He tried to stay away from her. Adam just sulked on the couch. Roman and Keenan cuddled up next to Adam. Blyke was asleep on the floor. Liam was asleep in a crib. Saphie was screeching as loud as she could. Amanda approached Saphie first. The two littlest kids would adjust fairly quickly. The older kids would have a harder time. Amanda lifted Saphie from her crib and rocked her to sleep. Walker somehow managed to wedge himself behind the couch. Adam, Roman, and Keenan had all fallen asleep. Amanda sat in a rocking chair with Saphie. She stayed for a little over an hour before laying Saphie in her crib. Amanda did a quick survey of the room. Three asleep on the couch. One asleep behind the couch. Two sleeping in cribs. One sleeping on the floor. Amanda left the room as quietly as she had entered.

Sometime in the night, Keenan started crying. I thought I would have to send someone in, but it wasn't necessary. Adam stirred when the younger boy started crying. Adam had sat up and rubbed Keenan's back until he was asleep once more. I sent a young intern named Kim in to check on them and she said that they were all peacefully sleeping. They all slept until morning.

The team thought it best to send Amanda in. I think that they thought the kids would like to see a familiar face. Most of the kids didn't recognise Amanda at all. Walker screeched when she walked in. He knew who she was. Adam placed himself between Amanda and the younger kids. Roman stood directly behind him. Amanda tried to talk to them, she really did. They wouldn't listen. Adam did most of the talking. He told Amanda to stop pretending like everything was alright when it so clearly wasn't. That boy is too mature for his age. The other kids grouped behind him. They already had a clear leader. Interesting.

I had always planned for the kids to be kept together. Their "parent" would switch constantly. I had to find someone who fit with the kids. Someone who would keep them safe. Mostly it was up to me. I'm not sure how I'll decide, but the hope is that the right person comes along within a few years. I plan on sending the kids off to a secret place. Somewhere no one can find them. I've already decided on a location. The facility is being built. It is taking longer than expected, so the kids will be staying at headquarters for a year. By then I hope to have a full time caretaker hired. This caretaker will move to the location with them. No one can find it.

My first potential caretaker was Amanda. I've already decided, but I'll give her a few more days to change my mind. Three days later, and Amanda still has not connected with the kids at all. Walker still hides behind the couch when she comes in. Keenan screamed when she tried to take his hand. Adam is refusing to speak with her and the younger kids are too young to understand. Amanda was fired that same day.

Shortly after Amanda had left, a young man named Raj joined the team. We had been bouncing around temporary caretakers for some time. Raj was willing to give it a shot. I sent Raj in at lunch time. Walker hid behind the couch. Blyke crawled back there with him. Keenan barely glanced up from his food. Roman stood with Adam. Raj extended his hand to the boy. Adam crossed his arms over his chest. "Why are you here?" Raj tried his best to answer. Adam told Roman to go eat. Raj asked for permission to feed the babies. Adam said, "You can feed them only because they have to be fed. After that just lay them on the floor and let them be. We don't need you. We don't need anybody."