Chapter 10

When Jaylyn arrived at the morgue where Henry was examining the boy’s injuries. He glanced up as he heard her enter before doing a double take as confusion flashed across his face. Jaylyn gave him a small grin as she walked over to him, doing her best not to look at the child she had failed to save.

            “So what have we got?” She asked like everything was normal.

            Henry kept giving her a stern look. “Why aren’t you in bed resting? I thought Adam was watching you.”

            “I snuck out, almost got caught, I will admit that.”

            “Being here will only make your concussion worse go back to the shop now.” Henry ordered.

            “I’m fine Henry, besides I at least need to tell Reece why it wasn’t Hanson or Jo… we need them back on the case.”

            She turned to leave considering it seemed he didn’t need her at the moment but felt him stop her. “After that, go home. We need everyone if we want to catch this man.”

            “I saw him… I just can’t remember what he looks like.” Jaylyn gave him an apologetic look. “He used a voice disguiser as well and didn’t seem like he’d been killing for long.”

            “That could help with your case but otherwise that won’t help me here.” Henry turned back to the body. “By the way, I managed to get rid of your blood at the crime scene before it was noticed… wouldn’t want anyone thinking you were the murderer now would we?”

            “Thanks Henry.” Jaylyn walked out and rode the elevator back up to the main level where she quickly walked into Reece’s office. “Lieutenant Reece, I know why it can’t be Detective Hanson or Martinez.”

            She glanced up at Jaylyn and motioned for her to continue. “Be my guest, I would love to have my detectives back.”

            “The killer is obviously trained in a medical field, each killing stroke is precise to make sure the victim dies almost instantly. I don’t know about Hanson and Jo’s backgrounds but I don’t think they have that good of precision.” Jaylyn explained as she paced back and forth. “Not only that, but have you noticed each murder weapon belongs to someone else here… who’s was it this time?”

            “Lucas’ scalpel.” Reece answered.

            “He hasn’t been to work since his sister’s death, that means he couldn’t have access to his tools.” Jaylyn replied confidently. “And each location is somewhere else. The first one on Jo’s street with Hanson’s car, the next was the Hudson River with Jo’s weapon. And now this one, this one was done by Lucas’ scalpel in a graveyard.”

            “But how does that tell us who will be targeted next Carver?”

            Jaylyn paused. “I’m not sure… Lucas lost his sister and the funeral will be soon I’m guessing, perhaps the killer is merely taunting him with this.”